SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9050
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by racketboy Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

Blu suggested we revisit the Games That Defined the Sega Master System and has begin on edits and changes
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sms ... ter-system

I've taken his revised list as added a few suggestions and notes to see if anyone else wants to chime in on this. Also, if anyone is big SMS fan and wants to help us flesh this guide out, please let me know.

Main Titles
Phantasy Star
Wonder Boy
Alex Kidd
Fantasy Zone
3D Games
Arcade Ports
Golden Axe Warrior
Psycho Fox
Sonic the Hedgehog
Maybe: Shinobi Series? W/ Alex Kid in Shinobi World and Cyber Shinobi (non-US)

Honorable Mentions
Astro Warrior
Safari Hunt
Snail Maze
Ya: The Vanished Omens
Zillion
Golden Axe(?)

Not Sure/Hidden Gems?. - I just realized we don't have a SMS Hidden Gems guide(!)
Asterix
King's Quest

Additional PAL Games (Ports from Game Gear)
Sonic Chaos
Streets of Rage
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7604
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by alienjesus Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:28 am

racketboy wrote:Blu suggested we revisit the Games That Defined the Sega Master System and has begin on edits and changes
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/sms ... ter-system

I've taken his revised list as added a few suggestions and notes to see if anyone else wants to chime in on this. Also, if anyone is big SMS fan and wants to help us flesh this guide out, please let me know.

Main Titles
Phantasy Star
Wonder Boy
Alex Kidd
Fantasy Zone
3D Games
Arcade Ports
Golden Axe Warrior
Psycho Fox
Sonic the Hedgehog
Maybe: Shinobi Series? W/ Alex Kid in Shinobi World and Cyber Shinobi (non-US)

Honorable Mentions
Astro Warrior
Safari Hunt
Snail Maze
Ya: The Vanished Omens
Zillion
Golden Axe(?)

Not Sure/Hidden Gems?. - I just realized we don't have a SMS Hidden Gems guide(!)
Asterix
King's Quest

Additional PAL Games (Ports from Game Gear)
Sonic Chaos
Streets of Rage


Shinobi is definitely a big deal on SMS, probably more so than Psycho Fox. I could definitely help somewhat on an SMS hidden gems guide when we get to that.

The Disney games should be listed as defining titles too imo - Castle of Illusion, Land of Illusion and Lucky Dim Caper are big name games for the system. Castle of Illusion is a different game to the mega drive title too.

I know the site is more US-centric, but defining titles for the system in Europe would include '8-bit conversions'. Stuff like Ecco, Streets of Rage and Golden Axe were major releases for the system in Europe in the 90s, where it was still comparatively popular as a budget console here.

Asterix is a pretty defining game for the SMS in Europe. Arcade ports feels too varied though - I assume we're talking OutRun, After Burner, Space Harrier? But Bubble Bobble and New Zealand Story were pretty notable titles for the system too.
Image
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9050
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by racketboy Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:30 am

Awesome -- good info!

What would you say the very top 3 games for the system were? If we're going to put them up top and put more text on them, that would help.

Thanks!
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:37 am

Yeah I think the Disney games, especially Castle of Illusion and Land of Illusion, are more defining than 8-bit Sonic for the system.

Golvellius, Kenseiden, Master of Darkness and R-Type should get an honorable mention at least.
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7604
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by alienjesus Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:51 am

racketboy wrote:Awesome -- good info!

What would you say the very top 3 games for the system were? If we're going to put them up top and put more text on them, that would help.

Thanks!


That's a tough one.

If you were to look at it retrospectively, I'd say it's probably Alex Kidd, Phantasy Star and Wonder Boy, with Sonic being a close contender.

Back when it was current, it depends when you were talking in its life span. In the early parts of its life, it'd be Space Harrier, Fantasy Zone, Shinobi. Later on, Sonic the Hedgehog for sure. The system may have been short lived in the US, but it was still on the market in the UK until the mid 90s.

Quality wise, the Wonder Boy series, Phantasy Star and Sonic are probably the best. Alex Kidd in Miracle World is fantastic, but the rest of the series is pretty mediocre, with the exception of Shinobi World which is more of a hidden gem really.

Yeah I think the Disney games, especially Castle of Illusion and Land of Illusion, are more defining than 8-bit Sonic for the system.

Golvellius, Kenseiden, Master of Darkness and R-Type should get an honorable mention at least.


Maybe in the US, but Sonic was a big deal for the system over here. Everyone had it. It was even built in to later SMS2 units iirc, replacing Alex Kidd in Miracle World as the built in title. I still think the Disney titles were important though.

I think Golvellius, Kenseiden and Master of Darkness are more like hidden gems personally.

R-Type I could see an argument for appearing on the list though!
Image
User avatar
Blu
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2572
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by Blu Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:01 am

I think it's so amazing, and tragic that we didn't get those Disney games on the SMS in the US. However, I grew up with Lucky Dime Caper and Castle of Illusion on the Game Gear and I'd rate them highly. We should include them. I was looking at the Alexa rankings for Racketboy, and we rank pretty highly in the UK, so I think the addition of some European perspectives would benefit this article (and the site) well.

My top three are:

1. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Phantasy Star
(Honorable Mentions: Astro Warrior, Outrun, and Zillion)

I'm biased but I love the amount of quality Shmups on Sega Master System. Perhaps that's another article we could weigh in on:

Power Strike 1 (Aleste)
Power Strike 2 (Aleste)
Astro Warrior
Bomber Raid
Scramble Spirits
R-Type
Xenon 2
Cloud Master
Fantasy Zone
Fantasy Zone 2
Forgotten Worlds
Sagaia
Aerial Assault
Global Defense (SDI)
Submarine Attack

Of those, Forgotten Worlds, Xenon 2, Sagaia, and Submarine Attack are the only ones I don't have experience with, as they were never released here.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9050
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by racketboy Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:00 pm

I would LOVE a shmup post.
Ultimately, I'd like to have a Shmup guide for every platform that has a solid showing.
The NES would be a fun one too and we have a TG16 one half-done. I think I might have a SNES draft started somewhere too.
I think I may need to start a new thread on the forum for this shmup stuff ;)
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by Gunstar Green Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:13 pm

alienjesus wrote:Maybe in the US, but Sonic was a big deal for the system over here. Everyone had it. It was even built in to later SMS2 units iirc, replacing Alex Kidd in Miracle World as the built in title. I still think the Disney titles were important though.

I think Golvellius, Kenseiden and Master of Darkness are more like hidden gems personally.

R-Type I could see an argument for appearing on the list though!


I forgot you guys had built in Sonic units. Land of Illusion was never released here (except on Game Gear) though I think it's one of the best, if not the best platformer on the system.

Blu wrote:My top three are:

1. Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
2. Fantasy Zone
3. Phantasy Star
(Honorable Mentions: Astro Warrior, Outrun, and Zillion)


Hard to argue with that, though I like Fantasy Zone 2 more than the port of the first. Wonder Boy III is without a doubt my number 1.
mas
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 5:22 pm
Location: ma

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by mas Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:28 pm

Where is golden axe warrior. It's the legend of Zelda on the master system
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9050
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Revising Games That Defined the Sega Master System

by racketboy Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:38 pm

mas wrote:Where is golden axe warrior. It's the legend of Zelda on the master system


It's on the main list :wink:
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest