Sega Dreamcast Planetweb 3.0 for Broadband Internet Browser

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
1strail

Sega Dreamcast Planetweb 3.0 for Broadband Internet Browser

Post by 1strail »

Does anyone know if the Planetweb browser still works for things like google, yahoo, etc.. I remember using old IE and safari browsers and getting messages like, "this browser is not longer supported, blah, blah" when using older PC OS's.

I would think shopping sites, eBay and others would probably give the same notice. Thinking about purchasing a LAN port for a new DC that I snagged, but not if it is useless.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Dreamcast Planetweb 3.0 for Broadband Internet Brow

Post by JoeAwesome »

1strail wrote:Does anyone know if the Planetweb browser still works for things like google, yahoo, etc.. I remember using old IE and safari browsers and getting messages like, "this browser is not longer supported, blah, blah" when using older PC OS's.

I would think shopping sites, eBay and others would probably give the same notice. Thinking about purchasing a LAN port for a new DC that I snagged, but not if it is useless.

Lots of sites that have up-to-date HTML or Flash or whatever will throw up errors on a DC browser. That's why browsers get updated. However, you shouldn't buy an BBA for the DC to go web browsing. You buy one to play DC games online with others, or possibly for homebrew. There will still be a lot of sites, including ones specific to DC (for saves, for instance) that work fine, however. Just curb your expectations.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Was there never an updated homebrew web browser for the DC?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I remember trying the Dreamcast Browser which I think was 2.0? The browser would not go full bore graphics fonts, but more like a BBS board of the DOS/Commodore 64 days. This was thru dial up though I don't thing a broadband adapter would have made a difference. Perhaps 3.0 did offer a better GUI and the Dreamcast does support 640x480 VGA option for text clarity. However, an issue of memory limitation and no hard drive with a heavy mod.

For TV viewing browsing, a laptop or mini PC hooked up the best option. For non intensive browsing, I find my Wii with the Wiimote pointer works fine. No typing paragraphs such as this reply, just quick browsing; the console works fine in that aspect.

Upsetting that YouTube support was dropped though, no more ridiculous cat videos on the Wii! :?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Crazy to think how much has changed since then.
On a related note, I remember when I thought it was amazing to use the web browser cartridge on my DS. Back before smart phones and when laptops and such were more of a pain to carry around.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

racketboy wrote:Crazy to think how much has changed since then.
On a related note, I remember when I thought it was amazing to use the web browser cartridge on my DS. Back before smart phones and when laptops and such were more of a pain to carry around.

Did you ever get into dial up BBS on an 8 bit computer? Ah, the good old days the bong bong when connected and joining BBS Boards to trade Commodore 64 "files". To think that 8 bit computers attached to composite had the same NTSC/PAL game issues of today's consoles. :lol:
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

CRTGAMER wrote:
racketboy wrote:Crazy to think how much has changed since then.

Did you ever get into dial up BBS on an 8 bit computer? Ah, the good old days the bong bong when connected and joining BBS Boards to trade Commodore 64 "files". To think that 8 bit computers attached to composite had the same NTSC/PAL game issues of today's consoles. :lol:

My first net connection at home wasn't until like '95 or '96. I got a 33K(?) modem for my 386 running Win 3.1. I had Netscape, but it took FOREVER to load things, so I pretty much stuck to some message boards (can't remember what) and FTP servers. But I would work on HTML on notepad and then transfer it to my computer lab machines at school :)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well, it wouldn't be useless either way. Check out this thread from last year:
Current state of online Dreamcast games
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50618

A lot of folks are just using the DreamPi setup to emulate dial up.

Go here to see which use broadband and which require a modem or DreamPi emulating a modem:
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/games.html

racketboy wrote:My first net connection at home wasn't until like '95 or '96. I got a 33K(?) modem for my 386 running Win 3.1. I had Netscape, but it took FOREVER to load things, so I pretty much stuck to some message boards (can't remember what) and FTP servers. But I would work on HTML on notepad and then transfer it to my computer lab machines at school :)

Mine was very similar, but a 486 running MS-W95 shortly after yours. We were still running 3.1 at school for some time. My mom walked in & 8 year old Jago was writing DOS commands because the icons were still a fairly new concept. She still talks about that to this day :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

I used a 2400 baud modem to connect my Apple //c to a local BBS, but the Apple didn't have ANSI capability. I didn't get that until I got a 56k modem in '95 for my Mac LCII.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This was my first modem...