SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mrkoelie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by mrkoelie Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:04 am

Sup?
The barcode on the underside of my dreamcast starts with "DR". Here is a screenshot:
Image

Afaik it always starts with "DE" or "DU". Can someone tell me what the "DR" stands for? Thx :)
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6356
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:16 am

That's a Dreamcast that was sold in Rwanda. DE is "Dreamcast-Europe" while DU is "Dreamcast-United States." DR is rare for "Dreamcast-Rwanda." Rwanda has a little known but very active Sega fanbase.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Image
mrkoelie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by mrkoelie Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:25 am

Whut :lol:

Shipped from Japan. I've never heard of Dreamcast-Rwanda...

ElkinFencer10 wrote:That's a Dreamcast that was sold in Rwanda. DE is "Dreamcast-Europe" while DU is "Dreamcast-United States." DR is rare for "Dreamcast-Rwanda." Rwanda has a little known but very active Sega fanbase.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 19602
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by Ack Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:26 am

Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

As for the barcode, I have no idea. It may be a particular distributor or something like that.
Image
Image
mrkoelie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by mrkoelie Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:29 am

LOL! Thanks Ack!

Hopefully somebody else knows what it is :)

Ack wrote:Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

As for the barcode, I have no idea. It may be a particular distributor or something like that.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 7944
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by marurun Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:35 am

Did you buy it used? Could be a stock or inventory number.
mrkoelie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by mrkoelie Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:40 am

Yeah, i've bought it used. But the product code (670-14248B) is also unknown.

More pics:

Image
Image
Image
User avatar
isiolia
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5057
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by isiolia Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:48 am

My guess would be one labeled for sale in Russia. Sega didn't officially offer it there, but apparently Sega of Europe sold their remaining stock to a third party who did (via Sega Retro). It's clearly an EU unit otherwise, so maybe that's why it has the different stickers?
mrkoelie
Newbie
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:02 am

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by mrkoelie Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:11 am

isiolia wrote:My guess would be one labeled for sale in Russia. Sega didn't officially offer it there, but apparently Sega of Europe sold their remaining stock to a third party who did (via Sega Retro). It's clearly an EU unit otherwise, so maybe that's why it has the different stickers?


Thx a lot! I've also asked the same question on Reddit, and this is the answer i've received:

What has me stumped is that it's a model produced by ASAHI Electron and as far as I am aware they only ever produced NTSC variants for the Japan and American markets until June 2000. They briefly produced a small number for the South Korean region in 2000, though that would have been NTSC too. If it has heat pipes I am thinking it could be a demo/kiosk type revision...
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6356
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Strange barcode on the underside of my Dreamcast

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:31 pm

Ack wrote:Sorry, mrkoelie, Elkin was making a joke. We use blue text here to signify sarcastic comments. He was kidding and not being helpful.

As for the barcode, I have no idea. It may be a particular distributor or something like that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
Image
Return to Sega

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests