What Was Sega's Biggest Mistake?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

At least they learned their lesson and the Dreamcast was one of the best console launches ever...
alexkidd
24-bit

re:

Post by alexkidd »

alonzobots- NUON was not a Sega product, just realized that it might look like that from my post. It was a technology to be built into DVD players to give them actual gaming capabilities rather than just like Dragon's Lair type games. Not sure but I remember the graphics being comparable to Jaguar but not Saturn/PS calibur. I'm sure others on here know more about it than me.
I agree w/ the Saturn launch I remember walking into a Target and WTF! it's out already!
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

marketing
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

Post by Wanderer - Vega »

The average person around here looked at the VMU and was just like.. "okay." Whereas in Japan such things were loved. Maybe the United States needed more whacky accessories as NeoRage said.

I know something that will always piss me off was people not jumping onto the genius online features of the Dreamcast. Those that were technically aware could get online with it..and don't get me wrong, those who did made for a great and dedicated community -- most had bought the keyboard and mouse and the few who had broadband got the BBA .. but it was just too early for a lot of people. Too many people didn't have an ISP or their ISP was incompatible(AOL dialup was a no-no..we had to get a seperate ISP in Earthlink!) or want to tie up their phone..or even worse were afraid of the whole fiasco because they were clueless about it. None of my friends that had Dreamcast knew how to get online and didn't want to bother with it..even with those free ISP accounts that were going around. It was just too soon for the majority.

It was still the most fun I've ever had online with a console and I know it will never happen again. I'm glad it was in my teens when I truely appreciated and played games often and was the first system I was able to go online with. This was the only system I can say I woke up before school just to play a quick game online before I had to run to the bus, even if the game session only lasted ten minutes.
Conn
24-bit

Post by Conn »

Their biggest mistake? Hell, I can think of tons.

1) Releasing 4 systems within a five years- Mega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast.
2) Releasing the Saturn 6 months after the 32X.
3) Releasing the Saturn early, causing nobody to carry it and giving it shitty games.
4) The VMUs- neat on paper, retarded in reality. They served no purpose and had horrible battery life. The ended up being large memory cards.
4) Bad advertising for uhm.. everything after the Genesis.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

What's with all the hate for marketing and advertising? Dreamcast did it VERY well. I loved their ads. Most of them were quite clever. I especially liked the line of commercials where all the signature characters were having a party inside the Dreamcast shell. Do you guys prefer the stuff we get nowadays, like the ebonic PSP squirrels?
NeoRage
64-bit

Post by NeoRage »

Mozgus wrote:What's with all the hate for marketing and advertising? Dreamcast did it VERY well. I loved their ads. Most of them were quite clever. I especially liked the line of commercials where all the signature characters were having a party inside the Dreamcast shell. Do you guys prefer the stuff we get nowadays, like the ebonic PSP squirrels?

The ebonic squirrels are the dumbest thing ever :lol: I prefer the old zelda commercial with the guy yelling "ZELDA.....ZELDA.......ZELDA!!!!!" to the new crap! Even the store target(And McDonalds, Insurance companies, The public library, The army and almost every other company :P ) has replaced their commercials with an ebonics/rap commercial, I really feel like an old man now!

Here's a link to an old Zelda commercial, Not sure if it's the same one I was talking about because I have no speakers right now.

http://www.x-entertainment.com/download ... zelda.html
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Oh and if it hasn't been mentioned yet, another huge mistake was that Saturn never got a true Sonic game. Just an improved 3D Blast, and an emulated genesis set.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Mozgus wrote:What's with all the hate for marketing and advertising? Dreamcast did it VERY well. I loved their ads. Most of them were quite clever. I especially liked the line of commercials where all the signature characters were having a party inside the Dreamcast shell. Do you guys prefer the stuff we get nowadays, like the ebonic PSP squirrels?

Marketing is a lot more than just TV ads. Look at the inadventant awful marketing coming out of Sony for the PS3 over the last few months.
bawitback
64-bit

Post by bawitback »

I've taken the privilege in going further in this topic by writing an article on it - Sega's Marketing Failure. If you have a digg account, Digg it?