SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

by Sarge Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:57 pm

SpikeSlania wrote:The Wonder Boy series is one of the reasons I want a Master System, or atleast a way to play the games. And I'm a game collector so emulation only gets me soo far before I get bored of the rom and just want the real thing. I also want to get the PC Engine version of Dragon Trap which I think Hudson called Dynastic Hero?

It's even more confusing than that! Dragon's Trap is on TG-16 as Dragon's Curse, and Wonderboy in Monster Land from Genesis is on the Turbo Duo as Dynastic Hero. :P
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:41 pm

Sarge wrote:
SpikeSlania wrote:The Wonder Boy series is one of the reasons I want a Master System, or atleast a way to play the games. And I'm a game collector so emulation only gets me soo far before I get bored of the rom and just want the real thing. I also want to get the PC Engine version of Dragon Trap which I think Hudson called Dynastic Hero?

It's even more confusing than that! Dragon's Trap is on TG-16 as Dragon's Curse, and Wonderboy in Monster Land from Genesis is on the Turbo Duo as Dynastic Hero. :P

Dynastic Hero costs a fortune too. Just stick with the Mega Drive game.

I actually prefer the Sega system version of all the Wonder Boy games, with the exception of Monster Lair - that ones definitely better on PC Engine.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:22 pm

The North American version of The Dynastic Hero for PCE is something like $1600. Not a typo.

Get it on the Virtual Console if you must play that version.
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:57 pm

I did end up ordering a Model 1 Genesis, made sure it was a High Def model, think I remember somewhere those have better stereo sound. I was debating on the Mini Adapter with FM sound feature built in, but went with a Power Base Converter just incase I do end up wanting one of the card games or use an accessory that uses the card slot. And then I also ordered a few games from various places. Was finding that alot of people selling are only selling cart only while I'm trying to go complete box and manual, I know if I ever get a snes again I will be collecting for that cart only, I just figured there would've been alot more games complete on the Genesis and Master since their cases were clamshells for the most part except for a few games here and there went card board like Turrican and Phantasy Star IV.

Disney's Quackshot Starring Donald Duck - Genesis
Bug's Bunny in Double Trouble - Genesis (No idea if this game is good, I saw the review on Tiny Toon's Adventures and figured, why not give this one a shot since it's pretty cheap complete)
Tiny Toon's Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure - Genesis
World of Illusion starring Disney's Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck - Genesis
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap - Master
Deep Duck Trouble Donald Duck - Master PAL verison

And then I went out for lunch and stopped at the local retro store and ended up buying Phantasy Star IV complete for like $80 since I saw it complete right there in the front of the case taunting me. Along with Turrican complete minus the poster, but I was like I still have to spend money repairing my PC Engine Duo, must hold off on Turrican for now. But it was there complete for like $40. Hopefully not too many other people are collecting Sega games in my area.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:59 pm

I didn't bother to read what anyone said because the correct answer is "Get a TurboGrafx-16," and if they told you otherwise, they lied to you.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:26 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I didn't bother to read what anyone said because the correct answer is "Get a TurboGrafx-16," and if they told you otherwise, they lied to you.

But I already own a PC Engine Duo that I plan on getting modded for component
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:32 am

SpikeSlania wrote:I did end up ordering a Model 1 Genesis, made sure it was a High Def model, think I remember somewhere those have better stereo sound. I was debating on the Mini Adapter with FM sound feature built in, but went with a Power Base Converter just incase I do end up wanting one of the card games or use an accessory that uses the card slot.

Remember you'll need a SMS controller for the games below. Genesis pad won't work.

Via PBC manual:

The following game cartridges must be played with the Sega Master System Control Pads, Model 3020, only.

Great Volleyball
Shanghai
Alien Syndrome
Wonder Boy in Monster Land
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
Montezuma's Revenge
Bomber Raid

The F-16 Fighting Falcon Cartridge cannot be used with the Power Base Converter.
SpikeSlania
16-bit

by SpikeSlania Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:43 pm

And just wanted to show off what I got in the end
Attachments
17103420_1434147713282243_3199591412903212928_n.jpg
17103420_1434147713282243_3199591412903212928_n.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 554 times
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:04 pm

So much awesomeness in that pic... :D
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 pm

Yesssss. Very cool.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Return to Sega