Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

Post by SpikeSlania »

My first plan was to get a Sega Genesis Model 1 with a Power Base Converter to play Sega Master Games. Then eventually when I feel like adding on get a Sega Cd Model 2. But after watching the gaming historian learned about the JVC Genesis/CD combo. Now I'm that sounds pretty good since the CD drive is better quality then all the others, but the Power Base Converter doesn't fit on it. So would have to buy a Master System for the games. I'm still leaning towards my first plan, but the sound of a good quality sega cd player, is making me debate on it.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I would probably go with your original plan, 'cause the X'Eye is a pretty pricey piece of kit. You should be able to get a Genesis for around $20-30, I would think, which is practically in the noise once you start considering either a Sega CD, X'Eye, or maybe even the CDX.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Problem solved.

From the website: "Mini size that fits in any official Genesis / Mega-drive system† (does not work with JVC X'eye)"

EDIT: Oh, the regular Mini does work, just not the FM version.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Don't get too caught up trying to get the perfect setup right out of the gate.

Just start by getting yourself a Sega Genesis for now. You won't regret it. There's plenty of great games on Genesis. You always have the option to expand into SegaCD, Master system, or even 32X if that's what you like.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

This will be the 4th Genesis I will have owned :P Owned 3 other model 2s. This is my planned first model 1. First model 2 not sure what I did with it, but what I had as a kid. Second one I bought was in a lot with a sega cd model 2 and sega 32x. I traded that lot to another person for something, I can't remember. But is the reason I never plan on getting a 32x ever again. My third Genesis my brother ended up borrowing and don't plan on getting that back :P I'm mainly getting one again for SMS and I still have games from my last Genesis. Just thinking about a Sega Cd again mainly for the Lunar games. Dark Wizard was also good. So yeah, probably sticking to my first plan on Genesis Model 1 with a Power Base converter, but was tempted by the JVC model and wanted to make sure there might have not been any other possibilities like that Power Base Converter with FM sound built in
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I can dig it.

Yeah, get yourself a model one Genesis. They're sweet.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Sarge wrote:I would probably go with your original plan, 'cause the X'Eye is a pretty pricey piece of kit. You should be able to get a Genesis for around $20-30, I would think, which is practically in the noise once you start considering either a Sega CD, X'Eye, or maybe even the CDX.

o.pwuaioc wrote:Problem solved.

From the website: "Mini size that fits in any official Genesis / Mega-drive system† (does not work with JVC X'eye)"

EDIT: Oh, the regular Mini does work, just not the FM version.

Good catch. I didn't even think to look.

Personally I'm satisfied with the Mini in my Model 1 Genny, no CD needed.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I do my Sega Master System stuff through a Mega Everdrive now. There are a few carts I wouldn't mind getting for it still, though, like Dragon's Trap. There's also a remake coming for that which looks rather swell.
SpikeSlania
24-bit

Post by SpikeSlania »

The Wonder Boy series is one of the reasons I want a Master System, or atleast a way to play the games. And I'm a game collector so emulation only gets me soo far before I get bored of the rom and just want the real thing. I also want to get the PC Engine version of Dragon Trap which I think Hudson called Dynastic Hero?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:I do my Sega Master System stuff through a Mega Everdrive now. There are a few carts I wouldn't mind getting for it still, though, like Dragon's Trap. There's also a remake coming for that which looks rather swell.

This!

No PBC needed if you don't mind just booting SMS ROMS off the EverDrive. I do this, then also use DegaBox emulator on oXbox. Between those 2, I decided not to buy a SMS console or PBC.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5