Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Debating on which 16/8 bit consoles to go with.

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:Yep, Fusion supports the FM sound in SMS games. I highly recommend using this and the retranslation patch if you're looking to play Phantasy Star, for example.

So it's still called a retranslation patch although it's only music chaning?

Is there a FM sound file that needs to be dropped into the mix for those NA games where the FM sound isn't natively ("hidden") present? Or just full patches?

I was under the impression it was inherent "in" the ROM for some games and the appropriate hardware would unlock it so I assumed it would be a checkbox for those titles.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Sorry, I didn't describe this very well. For Phantasy Star, I'm pretty sure they removed the FM soundtrack from the US version entirely.

So, instead of reinserting the FM code into the US version, some fine folks at SMS Power did a retranslation of the Japanese version, and at the same time enabled switching between the PSG and FM soundtracks at the title screen by pressing the Start button. On top of being the superior soundtrack in most places, it's also much more readable, although it may get a bit confusing if you're reading a guide, because a few things have changed.

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1069/

I'm sure some just end up checking to see if the hardware is present still, it's going to vary from game to game. I haven't dug around to check how other games have handled things.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:Sorry, I didn't describe this very well. For Phantasy Star, I'm pretty sure they removed the FM soundtrack from the US version entirely.

So, instead of reinserting the FM code into the US version, some fine folks at SMS Power did a retranslation of the Japanese version, and at the same time enabled switching between the PSG and FM soundtracks at the title screen by pressing the Start button. On top of being the superior soundtrack in most places, it's also much more readable, although it may get a bit confusing if you're reading a guide, because a few things have changed.

I'm sure some just end up checking to see if the hardware is present still, it's going to vary from game to game. I haven't dug around to check how other games have handled things.

Got it! Man, I love the internet. The retro community has done so much awesome stuff that I can't keep up with it all.

I'll mess with the Fusion settings one day this week with JPN SMS ROMS w FM & report back.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:
Sarge wrote:Sorry, I didn't describe this very well. For Phantasy Star, I'm pretty sure they removed the FM soundtrack from the US version entirely.

Got it! Man, I love the internet. The retro community has done so much awesome stuff that I can't keep up with it all.

I'll mess with the Fusion settings one day this week with JPN SMS ROMS w FM & report back.

I can relate to that notion. It’s hard to keep up with all the amazing developments in retro gaming!

Did you ever get FM sound working in Kega Fusion? I’m interested to hear how that turned out.