SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Anayo
Next-Gen

Is NiGHTS into Dreams vaporwave?

by Anayo Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:01 pm

Lately I got interested in the Vaporwave genre. Something about slowed down, stuccocated smooth jazz in a pastel pageantry mocking happy-go-lucky 90's advertising just drew me in. I haven't listened to much beyond Floral Shoppe, but I'm saving that for another day when I'm bored and just want to kill time wandering around youtube.

Yesterday I was on my Sega Saturn playing NiGHTS into Dreams, and something about the jazz inspired soundtrack and gaudy colors seemed familiar to me. I think the sights and sounds of that game are strikingly similar to the vaporwave sensibilities of today, even though it was unintentional.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Is NiGHTS into Dreams vaporwave?

by Sarge Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm

I read this initially as "vaporware", and was like, "It came out on Saturn and Wii! Is there one that was in development that I'm not aware of?" :lol:
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Sarge wrote:I read this initially as "vaporware", and was like, "It came out on Saturn and Wii! Is there one that was in development that I'm not aware of?" :lol:

Same, I was like "wtf definitely not vaporware."
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Anayo wrote:Lately I got interested in the Vaporwave genre. Something about slowed down, stuccocated smooth jazz in a pastel pageantry mocking happy-go-lucky 90's advertising just drew me in. I haven't listened to much beyond Floral Shoppe, but I'm saving that for another day when I'm bored and just want to kill time wandering around youtube.

SKORB (Wii U) is the game for you! (Seriously...it is eaxactly what you're looking for, and it is a really cool Wii U eShop exclusive.)
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:00 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Anayo wrote:Lately I got interested in the Vaporwave genre. Something about slowed down, stuccocated smooth jazz in a pastel pageantry mocking happy-go-lucky 90's advertising just drew me in. I haven't listened to much beyond Floral Shoppe, but I'm saving that for another day when I'm bored and just want to kill time wandering around youtube.

SKORB (Wii U) is the game for you! (Seriously...it is eaxactly what you're looking for, and it is a really cool Wii U eShop exclusive.)

Wow, that looks really a e s t h e t i c.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Anayo wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Wow, that looks really a e s t h e t i c.

Apparently, it rips off a Unity Store asset pack pretty hard...but I don't really care. The (completely original) music is great, and I can play it on my Wii U. Also, it's cheap. That's what's important to me! :lol:
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:35 pm

Vaporwave hits RB!

FEELS

Yes, NiGHTS is vaporwave as fuck. The first disc-based consoles seem to fit so well into this AESTHETIC. Thinking Saturn, PS1, 3DO, Jaguar, that era. N64 too, despite carts. Basically anything fifth-gen.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:36 pm

Here's another one for you:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/radiantflux-hyperfractal-wii-u

Not sure about the music, but it definitely has the AESTHETIC. (Are bargain Wii U eShop games the games of choice for vaporwave aficionados? :lol: )
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:37 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Here's another one for you:

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/radiantflux-hyperfractal-wii-u

Not sure about the music, but it definitely has the AESTHETIC.

holy shit that is some

PUREVAPOR
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Sarge wrote:I read this initially as "vaporware", and was like, "It came out on Saturn and Wii! Is there one that was in development that I'm not aware of?" :lol:

I literally just did the same thing :lol:
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Return to Sega