PSO VMU Saves

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

PSO VMU Saves

Post by SpaceBooger »

I have my dreamcast hooked up to dial up for PSO and today I just got demul up and running on my pc. I was hoping to play my old character on my pc so I tried to transfer my save from the vmu to my pc by uploading it to http://bswirl.kitsunet.org/

That didn't seem to work... So I was wondering does anyone know an easy way to get a save from a vmu to a pc?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
miked
128-bit

Re: VMU Saves

Post by miked »

I think there is a way to save your character data to the server you play on. I have never done it myself.

This page at schthack talks about it briefly it the server commands section:

https://www.schtserv.com/info.php
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I wish I could tell you as I'd love to load down some saves on a few games I've had before so I don't have to suffer certain annoyances again to just dive in and have fun. I'd also throw some hack at RE2 as ribbons are bullshit straight up.

Back in the day when it was dialup I'd just plug the DC into the wall and that was it. I could do it again but I don't have a dialup ISP so that won't get me anywhere.

There were DexDrives back in the day and I think the DC had one along with the N64 and PS1. It was a USB dock you throw the drive into, and then it would (I think with software) see the storage as a drive(like a sd card does) and you could move data around. I used to do this with an adaptoid(the original USB N64 interface) and store memory pak saves on my computer.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

miked wrote:I think there is a way to save your character data to the server you play on. I have never done it myself.

This page at schthack talks about it briefly it the server commands section:

https://www.schtserv.com/info.php

Worked perfectly! Used dia-up on the DC logged onto the main lobby typed "/save 1". Made a random character with the emu, logged into the main lobby and typed "/restore 1" and boom my character was there and now saved on my pc. This will be a great way to play on the og hardware and the pc.

-edited because I can't type on my phone!
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: PSO VMU Saves

Post by TSTR »

I love seeing problems solved on here. Racketboy to the rescue!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Ok I have to know how do you get a DC online anyway at this rate without using dialup?

Do you track down one of those expensive broadband adapters if you can find one, and then manually configure some IP address into your DC setup panel and go from there within the game?

I have to admit even with the likely steep price involved I'd actually be fairly tempted to dust off my PSO playing days as I racked up over 100 hours between 2 characters on dialup in around 2000-1.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

This thread may help: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50618
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Nice, glad it worked spacebooger.

I had no idea the amount of DC games that are playable online now. I had heard about it, but didn't keep up.

http://www.dreamcastlive.net/games.html

Worms World Party, Toy Racer, Chu Chu Rocket and Alien Front online are news to me. Very excited for Alien Front Online. Looks like a DreamPi setup is needed. I'm sure that you can do it through Demul, but its currently over my head.

They also are said to be bringing many more titles to the roster. Really hoping for Speed Devils Online. Besides PSO and AFO, that was the other game I really wore out back in the day.