Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

Post by Tanooki »

Yup. I just know I have certain tolerances, anyone does.

For me I have a few things that don't work out well usually.
- Flash kits (I get ADD about them, load it up, play nothing but rarely and few of them)
- Too many systems (lots of shelf rot)
- Too many games beyond historical keepers (little gets done, guilty having unused stuff)

All that equals I can't focus on the new (old) or new (new) stuff I get well and it eats at me so I'm trying to force a closure on more items. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind once the Genesis was gone and offloaded my heavy hitters I'd keep.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Keep what is extremely sentimental to you as setpieces, sell the rest. Emulate for playing. Went down the Genesis hole a bit myself due to childhood memories. Wasn't worth it.

This is my opinion. Such things are like assholes—smell them if you want.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Rank but good way to look at it yeah. It's outta here, hardware and a little over 1/2 the games. The rest will be R5 fodder until I feel a need to remove things like Castlevania, Turtles, Dune, Rocket Knight, GnG, 6pak and a few others from the shelf.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Just from that list, sounds like you got some solid titles to hang onto. God speed.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

In a way, I envy you, as you have freed yourself from the obsession and madness that I suffer from.
..."suffer" is not the right word, as I do enjoy my stuff.
But you talk about a few hundred games and I think I'm going on a few thousand (most of which I haven't even sampled yet... and some that I wonder if I should even open).

I've become a collector/hobbyist these days; I really need to re-evaluate why I'm doing that and reconcile my answers with the "gamer"-me that I started with.

I say keep that 6-Pak game at the very least. It doesn't go for much and is a great selection of games. I think I've gotten more enjoyment out of that than any other Genesis cart.
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

TSTR the stuff holding on by a thread I could just say screw it over later are some of the most expensive cart only stuff (not MUSHA) in the small list. 6pak, Alisia Dragon, Castlevania, DUNE, Ghouls N Ghosts, Rocket Knight Adventures, Streets of Rage 2, TMNT Hyperstone Heist, Wonderboy in Monsterland, and Virtua Racing. They're pretty much all my favorites. Never was huge on Contra but I wouldn't pass it up cheap(50% off), and I'd like Star Control still but the PC version is fine too (Dune2 PC vs Gen is a little different.)

nightrnr thanks, but it's not like I'm still being entirely rational either. 110 games roughly on NES/SNES, equally so for GB-C-Adv. But yeah if you figure I have around 375 now it's smaller sure. I had been pre 2004/5 around 2000+. Once you hit a loss that hard in a short time it gets easier. You assumed right on the 6pak. I think with the list above I'm not huge on Alisia Dragoon as nice as it is, same with SOR2, Rocket Knight or Monsterboy. I won't allow the pile over 10,so if I did find something, I'd swap it out to keep control.

The nice thing is the Genesis I have has very few age scuffs, it's NON-TMSS, has 2 3button and 1 6 button pad, the mono a/v cable and RF, power too all OEM. I'd throw in with it 4 cheapos (Sonic2 and Spinball, Zero Tolerance, and SF2CE) to round out a lot I could easily clear $100 on which would help me out too. (mas isn't the only one with $ issues, just my cards aren't maxed out, and I have a family that keeps us afloat until whenever my wife gets desk job work this year hopefully.) :) As I see it, I get rid of stuff so I can get things I really will enjoy and use out of budget.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

After talking to you today. Go for it. Sell the rest of the stuff you don't need. Get rid of the access and get your cash buddy
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Alisia Dragoon is interesting, but also pretty overrated.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I guess I see what some of your guys problems are. I have probably under 100 carts all combined in total across the NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64. But you guys have like multiple hundreds... phew. Moderation people! :lol:
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Well the one way you can look at it is this. I have 350~ games at this rate. I've been getting them since 1985 and 2016 just ended. 350/31 is 11.2 games/yr. Really not much when you play games with perspective. ;)

Either way I do agree Alisia Dragoon is overrated, also could have used a save feature too. I'm keeping it for the time being but it's one I'd put in the dump to get category as I already said with a few others. Truth be told I may change my mind in 6 days, weeks, or months and just dump the stuff if I don't use it. I've never much like the Genesis controller anyway so it's not like I can't fire it up on my laptop and get the same experience with a better pad.

I just finished taking images of the Genesis bundle, the stick(don't have a box for this I don't think yet), and the loner games. Same with all the other stuff too, just haven't photoshop resized them/resaved much smaller yet. I'm also out of ebay freebies for the month except for 4. I may just shove the Genesis up there, the atgames handheld one, and whatever other 2 items carry the best chance of moving. It'll all go up on here too if anyone cares for that stuff (Gen, DC, Famicom, SNES, PS4.) Motivated yet, desperate no. ;)

The thread helped though with the nudge needed. Not really certain what else I'd let fly at this rate.