SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
theclaw
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis ...yea or nay in the future

by theclaw Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:52 am

You might want to take a second look at the Genesis library. Ditch the costly hyped-up games, and try some hidden gems. Titles like Burning Force or Super Fantasy Zone have a lot more to offer in fun factor than Contra, MUSHA, TMNT, and their ilk.
Lum fan.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:31 pm

I'm fine and over it and I have actually played more of the off the radar stuff. The appeal just much isn't there for me or I'd have gone that way. I still have the Retron5 anyway, so if I decide I'm fed up with something I can trade out for another. At one point I was considering getting GranadaX as it's fairly solid.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm going to speak up for the Sega Genesis. I say keep it. Best darn console ever made.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:31 am

Well it's probably going to sell (I think.) 20hours left, 55 views and 4 watchers for it on ebay. I have no use for it and I kept the best 10 games I had for the Retron5. *Scratch that -- it just sold for the BIN, pretty surprised.*

The ATGames Mortal Kombat branded one I had from 2015 sold earlier today, someone did the higher priced BIN for whatever reason. I wish ebay would roll out another week of freebies as I'd like to get rid of the stuff I'm accumulating.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

by marlowe221 Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:34 pm

Xeogred wrote:I guess I see what some of your guys problems are. I have probably under 100 carts all combined in total across the NES, Genesis, SNES, and N64. But you guys have like multiple hundreds... phew. Moderation people! :lol:

I'm with you buddy!

I have maybe... 25 Genesis carts. I didn't grow up with it so they are games I researched and wanted to play.

I have maybe... 15 SNES carts. I purged the games I didn't ever play anymore and kept the (expensive) classics plus a few personal favorites (SIM CITY!!!1!).

But I do have somewhere in the neighborhood of 100 Atari 2600 games. They are just so cheap! My 7800 collection is under 10 and my 800XL stash is under 5.

Edit: I will confess that I have been having thoughts about buying some GB/Color/GBA carts though...

All that said, I have SLOWLY begun to sell off things that were taking up more space than they were worth. I am OK emulating the Master System and NES, for example. I am also happy to emulate CD-based systems (PSX) to avoid the issues that additional moving parts sometimes bring with them.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Feb 06, 2017 6:33 pm

I only have 5 Genesis cartridges, I play on the Retron 5, but years ago I found perfectly functioning Genesis controllers (one of them a six-button) destined for the trash, and they work fine. The problem for me is that it's hard to find decent games in the wild. All I see are sports games, which I understand was a big genre there, so that means inflated eBay prices. I won't go that way, I'll buy local if I can, far better deals when I find the games I like, they haven't suffered the Super Nintendo inflation.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:23 pm

theclaw wrote:You might want to take a second look at the Genesis library. Ditch the costly hyped-up games, and try some hidden gems. Titles like Burning Force or Super Fantasy Zone have a lot more to offer in fun factor than Contra, MUSHA, TMNT, and their ilk.

Burning Force stays high on my list, hoping that one hasn't jumped up much

samsonlonghair wrote:I'm going to speak up for the Sega Genesis. I say keep it. Best darn console ever made.

strong +1
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:48 pm

I believe in moderation, but I also have some perspective on that since the 80s and early/mid 90s I've held onto a specific set of originally owned NES and SNES games. While I have 55~ games for both of them around 50-52 of them were buys back then so I'm attached. They can just get dusty for all I care and I'll use them if I care to so even if I have over 300 games, 110 of them aren't a burden.

The same can be said for a near similar total number of GB+GBC+GBA carts too.

I'm fairly pleased with the slice and dice I've done removing 2 systems worth of baggage and shoveling off more random stuff across the board and I'm still at it. Yet I won't lie I'm not shying away from picking up Dreamcast stuff.

One of my DC games is the Sega Smash Pack anyway which is all Genesis other than Saturn? Virtua Cop.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Tanooki wrote:One of my DC games is the Sega Smash Pack anyway which is all Genesis other than Saturn? Virtua Cop.

...which is barely tolerable for the typical Genesis fan (due to audio issues).
Here is the list of games on there (just listing to discuss):

Altered Beast
Columns
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star II
The Revenge of Shinobi
Sega Swirl
Shining Force
Vectorman
Sonic the Hedgehog
Streets of Rage 2
Virtua Cop 2
Wrestle War

Along with Virtua Cop 2, Sega Swirl and Wrestle War are the other ones that weren't on the Genesis (WW was on Mega Drive [Jpn], Not really a "best of" choice there).

So, your left with 9 Genesis games and I have a couple comments on them, just because I want to.

Shining Force:
Best (Genesis) reason to own this disc. SF is a classic and probably the reason that I like Tactical RPG's. Time well spent on any system.

Phantasy Star II:
Wasted time on a Dreamcast. Why spend so much time with the required level grinding when you could be grinding in Phantasy Star Online. Really though, there are other collections with PSII; might I recommend on a portable (GBA or PSP).
I am a fan of the game, just seems wasted on the Dreamcast.

Golden Axe:
Always a favorite. It's on the 6-Pak cart, so my enthusiasm is lessened, but I can't help but fire it up sometimes.

Sonic the Hedgehog:
This is on just about everything. I admit that I played through it anyways on Dreamcast. It's short, fun, and why not (so similar to my Golden Axe opinion).

Streets of Rage 2:
I played this on Dreamcast first :mrgreen: . A lot of fun, but you can imagine how awesome the music sounded to me when I finally got a Genesis cart.

Revenge of Shinobi:
Another 6-Pak game. Somehow the least impressive Shinobi game to me, while being the one that I've spent the most time with. Make of that what you will.

Columns:
I'm a fan and a good puzzle game rounds out any collection (even though Sega Swirl is on the disc too). The Music kills it for me more than most of the games, but with a puzzler, you could just substitute your own.
Yet another 6-Pak.

Altered Beast:
Usually hated. But it's short and 2-player. An amusement for me on occasion.

Vector Man:
Feels like a classic Dos game to me, with the "bleep-boop" sounds of the poor emulator audio. Never played past the 1st level, but I intend to on my Genesis cart sometime.

So That's 5 games not on the 6-Pak (assuming you kept it).
I keep trying to remind myself why I own it (oh right, it came with my Dreamcast :wink: ). It is nice to have another light gun game for reamcast though, especially since I Only have the 1st Virtua Cop for Saturn.
...just another lost soul...
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Yeah actually I do have the 6pak. Off the top of my head I have that, Castlevania, TMNT, Dune, Ghouls n Ghosts, Virtua Racing, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Alisia Dragoon, Rocket Knight, and Streets of Rage 2. So 10 carts but 15 games.

I'm actually considering just dumping them, just haven't pulled the trigger as of yet. They're not really eating up any room though so I figure I just delisted them from my collection and can use the R5 or just throw a ROM on an emulator as I own my 1 license to them. ;)
Return to Sega