Any good Dreamcast tips?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Any good Dreamcast tips?

Post by CD AGES »

I've been on this DC collection ride for quite a while now to the point where there isn't really much out there for me to aquire. Its been a while since i've purchased any DC related items. So it was nice finding some great things recently.

Found Space Channel 5 CIB and in fantastic condition for $3. I had Sealed copy which I donated for a raffle at a Dreamcast Anniversary event that I organized in my area this year.

Also found Jet Grind Radio CIB for $5. And a Japanese DC for $35 in pretty bad shape but works perfectly.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Same, man. I was an original Dreamcast owner from its heyday, so have been collecting ever since really (well, on and off. I'm ashamed I sold a lot of my Dreamcast stuff when I moved onto the GameCube, but I bought most of it back before the GameCube even died).

107 games (excluding doubles - yes, some games I own 2 copies of)
7 or 8 controllers (why I need more than 4 is anyone's guess)
8 VMUs (6 official, 2 unofficial '4 in 1' VMUs without screens)
SD Card reader
VGA Cable
1 working Dreamcast, with region-free flashed bios
3 broken Dreamcasts :(

There isn't much left for me to collect, to be honest. Currently on my 'want' list are Armada, Stupid Invaders, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, but the latter 2 are currently going for more than I really want to pay for them and Armada is oddly difficult to buy in the UK and I don't know if I can be arsed to pay import/shipping fees.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Tanooki wrote:Lucked out today for $8 found an OEM controller with the sega VMU unit in it too. I'm feeling pretty set up with it now. Not sure if I want to keep the third party stuff still or just as a backup. :D

A 3rd party controller worth getting; Madcatz Dreampad for the two extra programmable buttons for either combo moves or rapid fire. The half round circle at the left of the button rows is the program button. :idea:

Oh and make sure you get REZ, the one Dreamcast game you will be stuck playing via CDR due to the pricey import. Used with the Madcatz light up tremor pack the controller literally shake beats to the musical rail shooter, such a great game.

REZ Review - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/rez/rez.htm?

My PS2 and Dreamcast REZ collection. Note the earlier K Project prototype Dreamcast versions which have completely different music tracks and alternate level versus the commercial Japan and PAL Dreamcast releases. :mrgreen:

K-Project - https://www.unseen64.net/2008/04/10/k-project-rez-prototype/

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Got a question. I have a ps2 total control 2. If I'm using that do I need a second controller/vmu plugged up to save? Or does the vmu have to be in the controller port you are controlling?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

stickem wrote:Got a question. I have a ps2 total control 2. If I'm using that do I need a second controller/vmu plugged up to save? Or does the vmu have to be in the controller port you are controlling?

IIRC, it depends on the game. I think most games don't care what port the VMU is in, and will allow you to select which ever one you want. This is in contrast to some PS1/PS2 games that will only save to port 1.

But doesn't the Total Control have a VMU slot in the adapter?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

I believe the tc3 does, but that's just a guess. Mine, the 2, doesn't
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Mmm Rez. My brother burned a copy of that back in the early 00s and still had it today, fantastic game. I really should get off my ass and find a couple CDs to test with and then make that, and propeller arena, and half life...also that Empire Pinball package of those Pro Pinball PC tables had the best versions ever made period for the DC as a EU release only.

I'm in DC depths today, my ebay buy came a day early. No harm showing this, and no I didn't pay the $210 on this, I got it down to $150 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/322343365810

Guy was very much so a rare sort of honest seller on ebay these days. Despite the lack of good pictures, these games have little scuffs to nothing but a smudge on them, kid gloves handler on the games and the cases. Packed them very well in a priority mail box with bubble wrap all around in 2 stacks. No case destroyed in shipping.

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Jet Grind Radio
Resident Evil Code: Veronica
Crazy Taxi
Rayman 2: The Great Escape
Chu Chu Rocket
Sega Smash Pack Volume 1
Ready 2 Rumble Boxing
Space Channel 5
Gauntlet Legends

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2
Striker Pro 2000
NFL 2K1
NHL 2K

I've had most of the non-sports before, just not Space Channel 5 or the Smash Pack, Rayman 2 my brother had on his DC but I did finish it then. Plan to sell off the sports games cheap and the duplicate Crazy Taxi (keep this one, original not a re-release) to get another $20~ back off the cost.

I also have Sword of the Berserk in the mail for next week. Tops on my list now would be Armada at the #1 spot, after that Gundam, Hydro Thunder and Record of the Lodoss War. Beyond that many others I used to have or wanted as I had a pretty good selection of games in those days. DC got me through the N64 sucking (a few games aside) in 99 through the Gamecube in 01 and still got stuff for it even then.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Another new DC find today. Found it at the local gamestore where we have weekly tournaments at.
Marvel Vs. Capcom (CIB) $30.
First print ver.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I think it's time for us to now switch this over to the dreamcast thread since tanooki has a good portion of what he needs to do with that beauty called dreamcast
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Tanooki wrote:Mmm Rez. My brother burned a copy of that back in the early 00s and still had it today, fantastic game. I really should get off my ass and find a couple CDs to test with and then make that, and propeller arena, and half life...also that Empire Pinball package of those Pro Pinball PC tables had the best versions ever made period for the DC as a EU release only.

Play Dreamcast K-Project with a Mouse or Trakball :idea:
Not sure if you read into my previous post there are TWO versions of Dreamcast REZ to look for. The official release and the K Project prototype with completely different music and an additional level. Threw in a link in my Reply above.

However, Half Life as good as the Dreamcast version is has issues. Very long load times as you progress thru a level, even when say still in the same building of the underground facility. Frustrating when you accidentally go down the wrong corridor wait for disc load then turn around and wait for a load again. PS2 version of Half Life (can be cracked to work thru hard drive install) the better choice.

On the other hand Dreamcast Half Life Mod They Hunger worth playing even with the disc load pauses.

Propeller Arena very good and complete. I fly that game with the obscure Mad Catz Panther Flightstick. Two exclusives worth searching:

Toy Commander - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=307530#p307530

Wild Metal Country - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=304356#p304356

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425