Any good Dreamcast tips?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Any good Dreamcast tips?

Post by CRTGAMER »

Tanooki wrote:CRT now we're talking, can you point me to something by name or design say with an ebay link or amazon? I'd buy that in a heartbeat. I've got spare HDMI cables around here somewhere so it wouldn't be hard to pop n' drop that right in place seamlessly.

Reprise: No worries, it's fine, old link and as CRT pointed out, it's a box that would be best since it can hot switch between both for those who don't want to play nice in VGA mode. That would be ideal.

Just Google "dreamcast vga box"; due to the vintage and uncommon most tend to be pricey. Try that same set of words on Ebay as well. The box keeps analog signal from the Dreamcast output to VGA or switched to SVideo Composite. You will need two display screens of course.

I have the orange Naki version; it has a slide switch on the side to select the output.

ImageImage
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Looking at that, wouldn't you still need a VGA cable? I'd think with a vga cable and an rca into it, you could just plug both ends in since it switches if a TV had both those inputs. But if someone did have that VGAtoHDMI setup one could possibly ramp it into the box. I'll look into it later.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

For a DC VGA solution, I went with this: http://dcemulation.org/?title=Dreamcast ... ster_Cable

It converts the VGA signal to 480p RGB SCART (may be incompatible with your scaler, transcoder or display since this is a non-standard signal). I built that circuit in a little project box with a switch that'll allow me to go from VGA mode (480p) to regular RGB SCART (240p/480i) so you don't have to switch cables for games that are incompatible.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

FWIW, I used this for VGA when I had a DC: https://www.amazon.com/Tomee-Sega-VGA-C ... B00HPU96FI

No issues.
marurun

Post by marurun »

That Naki one was also sold by other manufacturers and is fantastic. I have one in translucent white (as opposed to orange).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I found scratch free copies of Mr Driller and Slave Zero earlier today. I owned Driller before, but not the other. Got a nice deal too paying $22 even for the pair and given what Mr Driller hits on ebay I'm pleased. I wanted it back and the other I never got around to back in the day. :D
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

This is the one I have. VGA, composite, and S-video all work beautifully for me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:This is the one I have. VGA, composite, and S-video all work beautifully for me.

I have the same one... wow I didn't know that they became the pricey.
If looking for great all-in-one solution (vga, RCA and S-vid with a switch that lets you easily switch the signal back and forth) I would keep my eyes open for one of these at a decent price.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Dam amazon is double the price versus the same ones on ebay, which I'll be buying this weekend
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Lucked out today for $8 found an OEM controller with the sega VMU unit in it too. I'm feeling pretty set up with it now. Not sure if I want to keep the third party stuff still or just as a backup. :D