There are very few Dreamcast exclusives left...

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: There are very few Dreamcast exclusives left...

Post by fastbilly1 »

Looking at other console exclusive lists, if you are looking at true exclusives most consoles have much smaller libraries that end up full of licensed games and sports titles. For example, the N64 will be less than 100 out of its 388 released US titles.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:I mentioned that page a while back (and in the OP). My point is that the number of exclusives (even a decade ago) probably used to be 2-3 times as long as it is now...

Sorry I missed your link, sleep deprivation is a helluva drug.

I'm not saying you're wrong, there are less exclusives. Just saying there's still enough weirdo exclusive games to appeal to... weirdos.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Exhuminator wrote:
dsheinem wrote:I mentioned that page a while back (and in the OP). My point is that the number of exclusives (even a decade ago) probably used to be 2-3 times as long as it is now...

Sorry I missed your link, sleep deprivation is a helluva drug.

I'm not saying you're wrong, there are less exclusives. Just saying there's still enough weirdo exclusive games to appeal to... weirdos.

The Vita will be a treasure trove of weirdo exclusives for weirdos. Not as much as it would have been if not for the proliferation of Steam, but it's still going to have a good number of them.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here's a Dreamcast exclusive a lot folks forget about:

Top down action RPG like zelda with 3D battles.

I completely forgot the Evolution games were put out as a combo on the GCN. There's always Time Stalkers although it normally gets trashed.

dsh, Overall I agree with your statement though. The system itself was an awesome arcade box due to Sega's roots so yeah, like the Neo Geo most can be easily emulated now... or found on PC. How much of that has due with the Windows CE base?

Also, the system died quickly so developers wanted their games on newer systems. Hence the ports. Sega actually pushed for the oXbox to be backwards compatible with DC titles and MS said no-go, software deal only.

Great points on DC horror Ack. I have the DC RE ports, and they're very solid. I still prefer the DC Code Veronica although it lacks the Wesker portion.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

E.G.G. feels a lot like they took assets from a Saturn game, and moved it over to Dreamcast. Some day, I will take the time to beat that game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Elemental Gimmick Gear and Sega Smash Pack Volume 1 are really the only two NA Dreamcast games I'm still trying to track down. Though I may also complete my 2K sports set. 8)

Has anyone played Seventh Cross: Evolution? I can't figure out what type of game it is - though some label it an RPG - and reviews are mixed.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Sarge wrote:E.G.G. feels a lot like they took assets from a Saturn game, and moved it over to Dreamcast. Some day, I will take the time to beat that game.

It does have that vibe. I haven't dedicated the time to beat it either, but played enough to like it. Found it at half price books for around $5 CIB in 2012 IIRC hitting some local spots with JoeAwesome.

@Bonez, the only NA & Euro (Shenmue II) DC RPG I'm missing is Skies. I know, I know...

There's 13 by my count when I was after them around 2012.

After watching gameplay, I definitely didn't classify Seventh Cross as a RPG. I remember thinking it was more of a evolution simulation game. Some list also include the 3D Guantlet game.

Speaking of obscure DC RPGs & PC ports. This one is interesting as well but speaking to dsh's point, I didn't know it was on Windows.

Reseeded Hareline
8-bit

Post by Reseeded Hareline »

That game is an absolute pile of unfinished sewage.

There's always Draconus and that Max Steel game. A bunch of averageness though.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Reseeded Hareline wrote:Image
That game is an absolute pile of unfinished sewage.

There's always Draconus and that Max Steel game. A bunch of averageness though.

I played about 30 minutes & agree.

If you need to play a dragon action RPGish game from that era, try Drakan on PS2.

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

E.G.G. is cool. I never managed to beat it (the 3D boss fights are horrible) but I was enamored by the beautiful 2D graphics when it came out. I need to sit down with it again.

Tech Romancer is a personal reason for me to keep the Dreamcast as it's one of my favorite games from the era. Yeah it's on MAME but the DC version has loads of extra content.