Replacing My Genesis Model 2

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Re: Replacing My Genesis Model 2

Post by marlowe221 »

Gunstar Green wrote:Keep in mind Sega was using a lot of off the shelf parts so they were working with what they had available depending on cost. They also had manufacturing plants in a few different countries.

That's interesting; I had no idea the Genesis was built with off the shelf parts. That certainly goes a long way to explaining all the motherboard revisions. Well, that and the revisions that were intended to fix the ones that weren't so good in the sound department.

It's also an interesting coincidence - another of my favorite consoles, the Atari 2600, was also famously built using off the shelf parts. That's why Coleco was able to get away with selling an add-on to the Colecovision that allowed the user to play 2600 carts.

I wonder what it is about off the shelf video game hardware that I like so much? In general, the Genesis and its games have this "raw" quality (and I mean that in a good way), a certain rough and ready feel to them. Meanwhile the SNES often feels more polished and refined in some ways. Both good but very different from each other.
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Re: Replacing My Genesis Model 2

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Ziggy587 wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:I can vouch for the incredible quality of these cables and wrote a review about them not long ago.

I can understand why some people question the price, since at first glance they just look like ordinary AV cables. What those people have to understand is that to get the same results you'd have to buy an RGB SCART cable, plus a SCART-to-YPbPr transcoder (which will use a wall wart power adapter), plus a SCART audio breakout adapter, plus component video cables and stereo audio RCA cables. For about the same price or less, you can get the HD Retrovision cable, which will be less hassle and less clutter, and is fine tuned for the specific application.

This is why I love this forum...

I been out of the scene for a while, but still check in time from time. And I'm glad I did. I had no idea about these cables. I'm definitely going to pick one up once they get in stock again. I got composite on my Genesis. I tried for full around with a converter box and all of that for Component, but had some trouble. And just having one cable over all that clutter is worthwhile.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread