Sonic Adventure seems better than I remember it.

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Adventure seems better than I remember it.

Post by Jrecee »

Tanooki wrote:I always felt that was the best of the 3D Sonic games and it slowly went downhill from there, though SA2 to be fair wasn't really all that much worse while #3 (Heroes) was a terribly buggy hot mess.

Nah, SA1 and 2 are way buggier than Sonic Heroes.

Sonic Heroes just sucks for a million other reasons.
3DSStrider
64-bit

Post by 3DSStrider »

I recently finished replaying Sonic Adventure for my let's play channel (you can find it in my signature). Honestly, it was more fun on replay than Generations (though it is by no means a better game). There are some terrible parts, (Amy, Big) but once you know what to do you can breeze through those parts.
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Jrecee wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I always felt that was the best of the 3D Sonic games and it slowly went downhill from there, though SA2 to be fair wasn't really all that much worse while #3 (Heroes) was a terribly buggy hot mess.

I haven't played SA1 in a loooong time, but I very explicitly remember mechanics that were required to progress (like that horrible wall jumping bullshit) in Sonic Heroes that just did. not. work. I played SA2 to death when I was younger, and there was never anything so game breaking as what plagues Sonic Heroes (a game I really wanted to like).
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
StuffWePlay
16-bit

Post by StuffWePlay »

I absolutely loved Sonic Adventure DX on the Gamecube as a kid. Actually, I still love it. I'd go as far to say its one of my favourite games of all time. Funnily enough, I didn't play it until after I played Adventure 2. I'd say the first adventure game has held up a lot better than the second one, but then again, if you aren't going for full story completion, Adventure 1 doesn't force you to play as non-speed characters.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

It's those g*d d*mned between level stages that ruin an otherwise fun game for me. Very beautiful game. Still looks great.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

3DSStrider wrote:I recently finished replaying Sonic Adventure for my let's play channel (you can find it in my signature). Honestly, it was more fun on replay than Generations (though it is by no means a better game). There are some terrible parts, (Amy, Big) but once you know what to do you can breeze through those parts.

Big... that's it. Couldn't remember that one. Fat purple cat with a (*Googles*)... wait ... a fishing pole!?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

People seemed to have soured towards this game over the past decade and a half, and unfairly so. Admittedly the hub stages sucked, but they weren't so bad if you know what to do. Probably the best thing for modern audiences to do is to watch a playthrough of the hub stages on YouTube to learn what to do on those stages. The other criticism of the game I've heard is about its poor camera. This one always irked me as I don't recall much of a problem with the camera, at least no more than with other 90's platformers.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Jrecee wrote:

I haven't played SA1 in a loooong time, but I very explicitly remember mechanics that were required to progress (like that horrible wall jumping bullshit) in Sonic Heroes that just did. not. work. I played SA2 to death when I was younger, and there was never anything so game breaking as what plagues Sonic Heroes (a game I really wanted to like).

Same here, I gave up on it because it would fail to do that very thing. Yes there were bugs in the older games, often you could easily fall through the fence/wall in SA1 in that opening stage after the whale is after you, but it was more predictable stuff in spots. It was just holes, not failed mechanics. Heroes was heroic at failing game breaking mechanics and holes so I got rid of it and never bought another 3D Sonic game until unfortunately that 1st on on Wii...which had the same bugs when it came to of all things required spin jumping and that was my last 3D Sonic game.