Current state of online Dreamcast games

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: Current state of online Dreamcast games

Post by IrishNinja »

damn, time to track down a copy of Alien Front Online then! awesome news.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Jay, I can't do that kind of work with a soldering iron, at least I don't think without some added trial and error cost involved. I've only learned to use one in the last couple of years really and I'm working towards smaller stuff but mostly just battery swaps or popped wires in old handhelds being the smallest. Latest was putting a battery clip into a Dreamcast and that didn't go so well at first (pins popped off the old holder took awhile to get it clear.)
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

I would love to get a small group of you guys to get a regular DC online game night going, we have plenty of games to choose from. I am willing to build the Line Voltage Inducers for the members that do not feel comfortable making them.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

You're talking about that pi kit to get on via DreamPi faking out the faux phone line connection or just the inducer? I never did quite get that straight how much equipment you really needed to bypass no dialup. The whole mess put me off it which is why I do not yet have Phantasy Star Online v2.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Tanooki wrote:You're talking about that pi kit to get on via DreamPi faking out the faux phone line connection or just the inducer? I never did quite get that straight how much equipment you really needed to bypass no dialup. The whole mess put me off it which is why I do not yet have Phantasy Star Online v2.

Its actually not too complicated once you get the necessary parts. Basically it works like this:
-RaspberryPi has the "DreamPi" image loaded onto it (once you do this, everything is automatic, you do not need to do anything for config, just power it on)

-Plug in Linux compatible USB 56k modem

-Phone line with voltage inducer soldered into the circuit (this is pretty simple, all you need is a resistor, a 9 volt battery clip, and a 9 volt battery)

-Plug one end of the phone line into the 56k usb modem, one end to the Dreamcast and an Ethernet cable into the Pi.

-Fire up a DC web browser or similar software that will allow you to configure the dial up settings and test it out.

I think I spent less that $50 on all the components needed.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

jay_red wrote:I would love to get a small group of you guys to get a regular DC online game night going, we have plenty of games to choose from. I am willing to build the Line Voltage Inducers for the members that do not feel comfortable making them.

I am so down for this.

For those who don't want to make a dreampi there are two other options:
1. Dial-Up w/a real Dreamcast - If you have a cable phone and free long distance there are tons of state that offer free dial-up for residents. I dial into Michigan from Ohio.

2. PC Emulation - I have Demul installed on my PC and it can be configured to use the PC's internet. I used this tutorial to emulate the DC BroadBand Adapter (the linked video walks you through everything perfectly).
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Ok now you have me intrigued. I do in fact have a land line that basically is never used at all but had to be there for power outages and made the bundle cheaper.

I really hadn't thought of that, but if there is a number I can call into I'd do that.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

jay_red wrote:I would love to get a small group of you guys to get a regular DC online game night going, we have plenty of games to choose from. I am willing to build the Line Voltage Inducers for the members that do not feel comfortable making them.

still really appreciate this whenever you get around to it, man! i totally need to have a pi & setup going by 9/9
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

IrishNinja wrote:

still really appreciate this whenever you get around to it, man! i totally need to have a pi & setup going by 9/9

totally spaced on this for you, I see if I have the parts on hand to make one, if not I will shoot for one this weekend!
bladerunner
64-bit

Post by bladerunner »

Wow I was just thinking of seeing if there was a way to play AFO these days and found this. I will definitely be investigating the DreamPi.