Current state of online Dreamcast games

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
IrishNinja
64-bit

Re: Current state of online Dreamcast games

Post by IrishNinja »

^i wanna say ive seen & missed a few for sub 20, so not much at all? it's on my list, too!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I bought it complete and sealed/brand new for about $15, but that was years ago.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

After seeing prices on eBay for the mic bundle I decided to get a complete copy of just the game. Now I just need the mic adapter for the controller.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

In case anyone was unaware, Alien Front Online is officially back up, and Worms World Party! It looks like we should have "POD Speedzone" up in the near future as well. Its amazing all the work this one person has been able to contribute to the DC online community. Just a few years ago it was accepted that it was impossible to get any dead games back online, and here we are with more than I could ever imagined!
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

jay_red wrote:In case anyone was unaware, Alien Front Online is officially back up, and Worms World Party! It looks like we should have "POD Speedzone" up in the near future as well. Its amazing all the work this one person has been able to contribute to the DC online community. Just a few years ago it was accepted that it was impossible to get any dead games back online, and here we are with more than I could ever imagined!

I was completely unaware. AFO means I am ordering the parts for a Dreampi again.

If he could get Propeller Arena or Outtrigger to work, that would be the only thing to top this.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

fastbilly1 wrote:
jay_red wrote:In case anyone was unaware, Alien Front Online is officially back up, and Worms World Party! It looks like we should have "POD Speedzone" up in the near future as well. Its amazing all the work this one person has been able to contribute to the DC online community. Just a few years ago it was accepted that it was impossible to get any dead games back online, and here we are with more than I could ever imagined!

I was completely unaware. AFO means I am ordering the parts for a Dreampi again.

If he could get Propeller Arena or Outtrigger to work, that would be the only thing to top this.

They even have the voice chat working! There was a video showing a full lobby of 8 players it looked intense! Before there was practically no footage of this game being played online, save for some super blurry clip that was really short if I remember correctly.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Is it an expensive mess to get a legit Dreamcast back online or somewhat complicated? I've been pondering getting Phantasy Star Online v2 (again) as I put 100+hours on that back in the day and it seems like it would be fun but I don't have and refuse to pay for dialup. I know there was some sort of Pi setup, but I really don't want to use something like that if it doesn't require using my original hardware and game discs.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

I still use dial-up. My cable phone has free long distance, Michigan offers free dial-up so I dial to Michigan... Tanooki - that is how I play PSO. I dial-up and use the preconfigured Sylverant disc to log in.

Do all these games, mainly AFO, work with Dial-up too or just DreamPi?
And since I now configured Demul to use broadband connection, can I play that way too?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

Tanooki wrote:Is it an expensive mess to get a legit Dreamcast back online or somewhat complicated? I've been pondering getting Phantasy Star Online v2 (again) as I put 100+hours on that back in the day and it seems like it would be fun but I don't have and refuse to pay for dialup. I know there was some sort of Pi setup, but I really don't want to use something like that if it doesn't require using my original hardware and game discs.

Using the DreamPi setup is the cheapest, easiest, and most readily available method if you want to use your home broadband connection for the dreamcast. When you have the setup working, the Dreamcast does not know the difference from dialing a standard land line from back in the day. You can use original discs, but for PSO you need to burn a "patch disc" that you will run before you put in your original PSO disc, this is so the game connects to the correct server address and not the old Sega servers.

in terms of cost, you can get a Pi for 20-30 bucks for the bare bones unit, the 56k usb modem is less than $15, and the "trickiest" part is the line voltage inducer (this lets the dreamcast think that it is dialing an active phone line) The parts are cheap (probably less than $10 if you had to buy everything new) and a few minutes with the soldering iron.

This explains it in more detail:
http://www.dreamcastlive.net/blogs/post ... orial/news
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

SpaceBooger wrote:I still use dial-up. My cable phone has free long distance, Michigan offers free dial-up so I dial to Michigan... Tanooki - that is how I play PSO. I dial-up and use the preconfigured Sylverant disc to log in.

Do all these games, mainly AFO, work with Dial-up too or just DreamPi?
And since I now configured Demul to use broadband connection, can I play that way too?

Every game currently online works with dialup!