SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

by CFFJR Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 am

Well I freaking love this game. Cleared it twice tonight, once with Sonic & Tails, and once with Tails alone. Didn't get all of the emeralds in either case though, 3 and 4 respectively. The ufo special stages are actually pretty challenging, and while we're at it, the new blue sphere levels are fun too. The ones they brought over from Sonic 3 and S&K are so familiar to me I can do them in my sleep, so the new levels were a refreshing surprise.

It's just so full of clever touches. The level design is top notch with tons of variations, the remixed classic levels feel brand new, and it has some really amazing boss fights. Aside from the aforementioned Chemical Plant Act 2 boss, the Act 2 boss of Mirage Saloon (which isn't amazing on its own) really made my day just for the callbacks it makes. Fans of the side games in the series will get a kick out of it.

Tomorrow I'll run it with Knuckles, then set about getting all of the emeralds on all 3 profiles.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 am

oh and that animated intro! Yeah!
Melek-Ric
24-bit

by Melek-Ric Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:30 am

Game is great. I was worried about only having 4 new levels but the remixes of the old ones are surprisingly good. Haven't had as much time to play this as I would like but am enjoying it. I expected to not like the new special stages cuz their 3D Sonic, but I actually like them. Every fan of the Genesis Sonic games should buy this asap.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am

actually the special stages are the one thing I'm not into so far. But that's not really shocking - I was never all that into any of them on the original games either. So whatever.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:25 pm

How the fuck do you do the Metal Sonic fight? This shit is fucking impossible!

I even resorted to reading a guide. I get it, you have to somehow bounce and propel the little mini metal sonics into hitting the real Metal Sonic, but it's impossible. I've done it once or twice, but can't keep that up without dying.
Last edited by Reprise on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:35 pm

When the mini sonic does his spindash, he might do a straight one or a jumping one. Hitting the jumping one into Metal Sonic is quite easy, and the way the timing works you don't even need to react to which one he's doing; if he does a straight dash you'll just jump over it.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:39 pm

MrPopo wrote:When the mini sonic does his spindash, he might do a straight one or a jumping one. Hitting the jumping one into Metal Sonic is quite easy, and the way the timing works you don't even need to react to which one he's doing; if he does a straight dash you'll just jump over it.

Maybe I'm just sucking at this, but when do I jump? And where do I need to be standing? And how do I keep an eye on the mini sonic whilst Metal Sonic keeps firing crap at me?

Whenever I've hit Metal Sonic with the mini sonic, it has taken lots of jumping and bouncing it until it randomly hits him by chance.

Ugh, sorry, but I hate this boss fight. It's the first part of Sonic Mania that I think truly stinks.

Edit: Ah ha! So there's a really easy way of doing it!!! Just wait for the mini sonic to appear in the middle. If it goes to spin dash, spin dash directly at it and it hits Metal Sonic every time without fail. Rinse, repeat!
Last edited by Reprise on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Start off all the way on one side of the screen, it doesn't matter which. From this position dodging Metal Sonic's blasts is just a matter of jumping straight up.

When the mini metal sonics appear, they might do an arm stretching attack, or they might start charging up a spin dash. In the former case wait for a moment, in the latter immediately hit it with a spin dash of your own. That's important, don't let it actually attack, you need to nail it while it is still charging. If you do this while it is still in the center of the screen it'll bounce once and hit Metal Sonic. You might need to spin dash sometimes just to get out of the way, but that's ok.

Repeat from either side of the screen.

Don't jump around a lot, stay low and dodging won't be an issue.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm

Well, you should have a feel for the timing of when you'd need to jump when he dashes straight; you would want to use that same timing for the jumping dash. Standing, I usually stand about a quarter of the way away from the opposite side of the screen from the mini sonic. I can't really help you with keeping track of both; I just never found it to be an issue. Mini Sonic's movements are extremely predictable; he always does his next move a fixed amount of time after he finishes the last one, so my focus is mostly on Metal Sonic's shots and just checking in on mini sonic now and again; sort of like how do you pay attention to your front and rear view mirror when driving.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:01 pm

Yeah, see my edit. Thanks, I managed to figure it out by chance in the end. Man, that was tricky haha, but once I realised, it was a piece of cake.

Return to Sega