Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

Post by Xeogred »

^ haha. I wonder where the chili dogs thing even comes from, is it anywhere else in Sonic verse outside of that old cartoon?

Reprise wrote:I'm doing a run through with Knuckles, but I'm not too far to confirm myself, however I have read that Knuckles has lots of areas only accessible to him, making his play through different. I'm sure I also read that one of the zones (or maybe it's just one act)) is entirely different and made just for Knuckles.

Nice, maybe Mirage Zone... think I noticed that one has a totally different song for one of the acts when I was looking up the OST.

Even Green Hill seemed a little different at the start.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

PresidentLeever wrote:Yes Mirage 1 is different as Knuckles, he has some new paths through other levels and one new boss. However you don't get to fight the real final boss even if you got Super unless you play Knuckles & Knuckles no save mode.

I can also confirm there's no true final boss fight with Super Tails.

... kind of glad though, it wasn't that great. :lol:
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:Jeff Gerstmann was bashing the Sonic 3 & Knuckles sprite at the Giant Bomb PAX panel haha. I think he's right and I prefer the sprite for 1, 2, and CD, and I'm glad Mania went more for that look:

I have a soft spot for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles sprites given that it's one of my favorite games of all time, but I get that it's the odd duck look.

I think they were going for a more detailed and 3D look, maybe even a sort of pseudo digitized aesthetic, and it either works for you or it doesn't.

Xeogred wrote:^ haha. I wonder where the chili dogs thing even comes from, is it anywhere else in Sonic verse outside of that old cartoon?

It was probably just a random bit of trivia from the Sonic Bible that Sega of America wrote up for all of game story translations and merchandising and cartoon and comic writers just ran with it.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

My favorite is the Sonic 3 sprite but maybe that's cause it's my favorite sonic game. I just think the mouth gives him more life. The 1 and 2 sprites come to life when he's doing other stuff though and he has actually facial expressions.

This game is great unfortunately if I want to beat the S3 special stages I'm going to have to play them on the keyboard, I get so much lag on my controller they're unplayable.

What's this about the "final" boss only being playable if you beat the knuckles and knuckles mode?!?! An un-spoiler answer would be preferred...
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Jrecee wrote:What's this about the "final" boss only being playable if you beat the knuckles and knuckles mode?!?! An un-spoiler answer would be preferred...

Like Sonic 3 & Knuckles you can only fight the true final boss with all of the emeralds as Sonic.

Unless you're playing Knuckles & Knuckles mode in which case Knuckles can fight him and the reason why is a spoiler because you get a unique ending.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Ok, I see. Gotcha. Man, playing knuckles & knuckles with no save would be a time suck, this game is huge!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, I'm disappointed that's a "no save" only thing. I did test it out though and it's funny the CPU Knuckles following you doesn't even glide or anything, lol.

I think it would have been cool to just have an unlocked feature that lets you partner up with anyone you want, Sonic, Knuckles, or Tails, no matter who you pick too.

... Mania 2!!!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Now you guys have Jaleel White saying "chili dog" stuck in my head.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

You can always use the level select if you want to quickly see the alternate ending for Knuckles. It's a simple button combination when you select No Save with the debug mode active (A + X on Xbox One, for example). Apparently you can also do it from the title screen, but I haven't tried that method.

Also, the chili dog thing was referenced in Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Unleashed.

Also also, the Sonic 3/K sprite will always be my favorite. I love that one.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Guys, I only need 4 more gold medals.

At this rate I think there's no turning back, gotta 100% this game. :mrgreen:

I just can't put this game down.

The boat trophy was odd. I randomly got it on my Knuckles/third playthrough. I guess it counts any boat you visit and you just need to eventually find them all, no matter the playthrough as they stack. No clue though. The hardest trophies will probably be doing the Stardust Speedway speed run trophy and doing Titan Monarch Act 1 without getting hit (level is about 4 minutes long give or take). I thought getting the gold medals in Blue Sphere would be a royal pain and wasn't going to bother, but I'm breezing through a lot of them. I think some of those tricky later stages basically gave you the Perfect easily so you don't have to repeat them. These last 4 I need to do are still tricky though.

The special Knuckles Mirage Zone level is amazing, you don't want to miss it. Lava Reef Act 2 also branches out a ton like the original S&K with him around.

As I continue to play, I think one of my top favorite tracks is Hydrocity Act 2. Pure bliss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTHR3zPYLIA