Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
marurun

Re: Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

Post by marurun »

Ars Technica loves it but does note that there are some bugs that can be frustrating.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'm quite curious if the engine will replicate bugs that are used in the old Sonic games for speedrunning.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

noiseredux wrote:earliest I'll get to play it is LATE tomorrow night. Maybe Wednesday.

Kotaku gave it a rather enthusiastic review, but also noted that it's a 3-4 hr game FYI.

Same :(

And yeah, 3-4 hours is about the same as the Genesis/MD titles. I'm not surprised, but I did kinda hope it might be a fraction longer. Oh well.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Watching they hydrocity levels is just giving me war flashbacks to melting down over them in my childhood. Those levels absolutely killed any enjoyment younger Partridge had with those games. :cry:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
marurun

Post by marurun »

Reprise wrote:And yeah, 3-4 hours is about the same as the Genesis/MD titles. I'm not surprised, but I did kinda hope it might be a fraction longer. Oh well.

My feeling is that the core 2D Sonic mechanic would probably wear pretty thin if they tried to stretch the game to 6-10 hours. Sonic's core mechanics aren't quite as flexible as Mario's.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Yeah, that's true. I read it's about the length of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which sounds perfect.

Anyways, I'm up to Flying Battery Zone and, so far, this game is freaking amazing. I feel like I'm playing the greatest Sonic game ever created.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

O... M... G!

The 2-2 boss just blew my friggin' mind. Wow.

#nospoilers
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:O... M... G!

#nospoilers

i know, right!?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

noiseredux wrote:O... M... G!

#nospoilers

Yeah, that's basically how it went down when I got to that point and I had to tell bogus about it in Slack.

This game is one giant Pepperidge Farm commercial:

Do you remember fast 2D platforming?
Do you remember bad guys with cool names like Robotnik?
Do you remember scrambling to maintain that one ring on a boss fight?

Sonic Mania remembers.

Honestly, the only complaint I have is that the classic tracks lack that "bite" of the FM synth, which ends up being to its determent in my mind. The second stage remixes of the Sonic 1 & 2 tracks are great (similar to how the music transitioned between stages in S&K), it just really sticks out when the base tune is almost but not quite sounding right.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.