Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces

Post by racketboy »

So I really want to buy one or two of these collectors editions.... the thing is I don’t currently own any of the modern consoles.
My 4 year old wants a Switch, but I’m not in a big rush and I’m not thinking he’s quite ready for it (he has plenty to play on the Wii and I don’t need him breaking anything)
I’m also thinking I might someday get a PS4 (seems more attractive than an XBO?)

Should I pre-order just the Switch version? Or both? Wait for used copies or discounted? Not sure production numbers and such....
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
Tanooki wrote:Yeah actually being an ass about someone having a different opinion makes you a child pretty much.

Just because you have an opinion doesn't mean it isn't an entitled opinion.

No more than any of you are entitled to act the way you do when I post. The days are gone when someone didn't like what someone else said and just let it be, kept it to themselves and ignored what was said.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Tanooki wrote:I never got it as I didn't like it was download only and felt it was too much for digital. I was waiting on a killer steam deal that knocked it down a heap

I haven't bought it yet for similar reasons. I didn't think it was too expensive for digital by any means, but there's no urgency in digital games - no finite supply - so if it's not a game I'm DYING to play, there's no reason for me to buy it early rather than waiting for a sale.

Same here, on the waiting to play thing. Unless I just have to play it right off, digital mostly doesn't go away at least for years on a platform, if not longer on something persistent like GoG/Steam on PC. I can happily wait months or years until the time and value for me is right and there's nothing wrong with that.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

racketboy wrote:So I really want to buy one or two of these collectors editions.... the thing is I don’t currently own any of the modern consoles.
My 4 year old wants a Switch, but I’m not in a big rush and I’m not thinking he’s quite ready for it (he has plenty to play on the Wii and I don’t need him breaking anything)
I’m also thinking I might someday get a PS4 (seems more attractive than an XBO?)

Should I pre-order just the Switch version? Or both? Wait for used copies or discounted? Not sure production numbers and such....

I think it’s wise to hold off giving a modern console to a four-year-old boy. Give him a Sega Genesis or something else cheap instead.

As for price fluctuations over time... I don’t expect these kind of physical re-releases to depreciate quickly. Consider that physical copies of Terraria still cost $15ish to $20ish on 360, PS3, and WiiU. It’s a similar story with Shovel Knight still costing $20ish (except the expensive vita physical version). Even though Shovel Knight has been released on every viable platform, it still commands a respectable price. Retro gamers like us keep buying up physical copies of this sort of game.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

samsonlonghair wrote:
racketboy wrote:So I really want to buy one or two of these collectors editions.... the thing is I don’t currently own any of the modern consoles.

I think it’s wise to hold off giving a modern console to a four-year-old boy. Give him a Sega Genesis or something else cheap instead.

As for price fluctuations over time... I don’t expect these kind of physical re-releases to depreciate quickly. Consider that physical copies of Terraria still cost $15ish to $20ish on 360, PS3, and WiiU. It’s a similar story with Shovel Knight still costing $20ish (except the expensive vita physical version). Even though Shovel Knight has been released on every viable platform, it still commands a respectable price. Retro gamers like us keep buying up physical copies of this sort of game.

Well, he's already got to play his Uncle's switch and he's also see some videos of games on Youtube. My advice to parents -- don't give your kids Youtube Kids. My biggest parenting regret. But yeah, I'd only do it if I was ready to invest in one and thought he could be responsible with it.

He plays mostly with the Wii, but I let him play with my Genesis too. But I also have my Sega CD hooked up to that, so it's only heavily supervised.

On a side note, I know he would adore Sonic Mania. It's a shame it's not on iOS. We routinely play the Sonic iOS remakes on the Apple TV. Perfect little kid console.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/05/18/so ... reenshots/

More details. Encore mode looks amazing.

Yep, BUYING IT AGAIN!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Who's played Plus now? I briefly read a comment somewhere that the Encore variants of the levels are harder which is cool to me. I'll probably upgrade my Steam version soon and check it out. Might double dip for a physical copy down the road.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I'm playing it right now. I never played the original version so I have nothing to compare it to.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Enjoying the best Sonic game ever made?
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Truth be told, I think the only Sonic games I ever beat were on Game Gear as a kid. I have played all the Genesis Sonics as an adult. I think Sonic 2 + Knuckles is my favorite out of those. Mania is very well done though. I definitely see what the fuss was all about. I'm glad that I held out for the physical version. I really enjoyed when
one of the boss fights was Mean Bean Machine.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm surprised to see a 2D game of Sonic that isn't trash since Sonic and Knuckles/Sonic CD back in the day as Sonic Team is just awful. I was really enjoying it, but I hit what many online call like 5% of the game that's rage worthy and quit on it yesterday until I'm willing to go for it again. I burned through every life and picked up extra I had up on a boss because of the weird jump mechanics on Sonic games that have always been there. I'll come back to it.

I recognize it's nice, and i recognize the reviews are also honest that there are a few discrete pieces of the game that are just nut punchers and that's one of the few.