SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Top 3 (Official) Dreamcast Games

by stickem Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:55 pm

pteague87 wrote:Skies of Arcadia has popped up several times so far. It was pretty amazing for the Dreamcast era. If I had to do a top ten list it would have definitely made it. I'm a fan of RPG's, and that was a great one.

Skies was like a mix of ff7 and grandia to me. Loved both so that one stood out to me. But in my opinion there are plenty of good games, but not great for the system which I attribute to lack of 3rd party support. You had great fighters and shmups, a few great 3rd party games and and bunch of off the wall shit that was just ok.
Ack

by Ack Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:07 pm

Shoot, I'll bite.

1. Soul Calibur
2. Record of Lodoss War
3. Dynamite Cop

Soul Calibur is perhaps my favorite console fighter ever. Record of Lodoss War is an odd choice I suppose, but I had a blast playing it. Dynamite Cop makes for a ridiculously good time. Now for some honorable mentions:

1. Power Stone/Power Stone 2
2. Resident Evil 2(that's right, I said it)
3. D2
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 pm

I need to revisit my save file on RCoLW. I got pretty far in that back in the day and got stuck, that was before YouTube walk throughs. And I didn't really get the whole gem or whatever blacksmith thing back then. Other that that, pretty dam good diablo/baulders gate clone except for the iron boots. Who thought that was a good idea during programming? It's spiked in value over the last few years also.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:16 pm

Ack wrote:3. D2

D2 is a ridiculously underrated game. It looks amazing, has fantastic sound, great atmosphere and is a really unique take on the survival horror genre. The story was really compelling too.

I've been meaning to track down a US copy for years, but it's so pricey and rarely seems to crop up on Ebay in the UK. At least my Japanese copy was cheap (and uncensored - although it only affects one scene).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:28 pm

I got incredibly lucky in scoring a copy of D2 a few years ago. Haven't had time to play it much, though.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:16 am

I just bought D2 off 8bit and I must admit the game is all that! I was impressed right away and super drawn in. I love how Kenji Eno created Laura as his actress for his games, which is why people get confused as to why the D series are vastly different from each other.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:26 pm

1. Resident Evil Code Veronica
2. Marvel vs Capcom 2
3. Sonic Adventure

While I probably wouldn't put Sonic Adventure on the list if I first picked it up today, IT BLEW MY MIND at the time. I picked up a DC in launch window & was amazed.

No lie, I had a girlfriend break up with me via phone while I was playing Sonic Adventure, never even pressed pause... :D

I rented RE:CV so many times, I could've just bought it. It was amazing as I was a huge fan of RE 1 & 2 on PS1. Finally purchased it years later & beat it.

MvC2 is so much fun. I remember playing DC MvC1 at a Gamestop kiosk when it was new. MvC2 is more polished with more characters. I got REALLY into it about 5 years ago. Getting the itch to dig back in after writing this...

Honorable Mentions:
Grandia 2
NFL2K
House of the Dead 2
Soulcaliber

Games I own & need to dig into further:
E.G.G.
Silver
Record of Lodoss War

Game on my to buy list for 15 years:
Skies of Arcadia

For some reason I've never picked it up. Has been hovering around $50-65 for a few years now. Need to hop on that. I own all the other US release DC RPGs.
3DSStrider
128-bit

by 3DSStrider Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:53 pm

3. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

2. Soul Calibur

1. Crazy Taxi
Insert clever quote here.
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/3DSStrider
Let's Play Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuNEFO ... qkaLOHc2nQ
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:13 am

In no order:

Shenmue
Soul Calibur
Capcom vs SNK

I have to at least mention NFL2K1 because it's definitely in my top 3 as far as sheer number of hours. I still can't play Madden to this day because I can't get over how much better I think the old 2K series was.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:29 am

1- Jet Grind Radio, hands down my favorite game on the DC, maybe of all time, I owned a copy before I even had my DC, I played it at a friends house in the meantime.

2-Shenmue, I was able to really immerse myself in the world at the time and I had never played anything like it.

3- Capcom vs SNK 2, someone gave me this burned game and said it would just work on my DC, and what did you know, it played great! My friend and I spent countless hours playing it till my thumb was raw from the sharp d-pad.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Return to Sega