Virtua Cop SS Rear Artwork - Coffee & Donut Icon?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Virtua Cop SS Rear Artwork - Coffee & Donut Icon?

Post by Jagosaurus »

So flip over your copy of VC on SS. What's up with the small donut & coffee logo/icon to the left of 1-2 players? Bad cop joke reference?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Virtua Cop SS Rear Artwork - Coffee & Donut Icon?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Well Jag, Virtua Cop was heavily influenced by cop movies from the '80s and like Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, and Tango & Cash. Often times these movies featured tropes and stereotypes - including coffee and donuts. Neither Virtua Cop nor the movies that influenced the game are meant to be a realistic portrayal of police work.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

samsonlonghair wrote:Well Jag, Virtua Cop was heavily influenced by cop movies from the '80s and like Lethal Weapon, 48 Hours, and Tango & Cash. Often times these movies featured tropes and stereotypes - including coffee and donuts. Neither Virtua Cop nor the movies that influenced the game are meant to be a realistic portrayal of police work.

Lol I'm not offended by it in any way. There's a donut shop just outside of my neighborhood, and there's always cops, sheriff deputies, & constables there.

Was just curious if there's any other connection like a developer or publisher. Didn't know of any link to AM2 or Sega. VC2 doesnt have it. Just interesting to me it made it all the way to the artwork incognito for a possible joke.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
kitkit.com
8-bit

Post by kitkit.com »

Jagosaurus wrote:So flip over your copy of VC on SS. What's up with the small donut & coffee logo/icon to the left of 1-2 players? Bad cop joke reference?

I just checked my copy of Virtual Cop 1 & 2 and found that donut and coffee log. Did not notice that logo until you pointed it out. Stereotype and a joke for sure.