Happy 25th Birthday Sonic the Hedgehog!

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Happy 25th Birthday Sonic the Hedgehog!

Post by Xeogred »

In ways I like how diversive the original 2D Sonic games are. People seem very mixed across the board with 3, S&K, and CD, sometimes even with 2 which is easily quite different in design compared to the first game. I'd be surprised if anyone who likes 1 doesn't like CD though, you can tell that's the same team at work on those. 20 years later and I still listen to both CD's OST's regularly. Nothing quite as magical as 90's CD VGM.

3 was the weak link for me. I usually burn through it whenever I play through them, and it makes S&K THAT much better to me, but yeah. Freaking love S&K though.

I like the September idea. I've got my eye on Colors and Lost World. Might give Boom a shot for laughs. But I wasn't a fan of the Adventure games and honestly despite most thinking it was the return to form, I don't think Generations left much of an impression at all. I only think about it when Sonic topics and discussions like this pop up. "Oh yeah...". It was solid and playable, but just doesn't really do much for me. I don't foresee myself playing it again.

But yeah, the Genesis games and CD I replay at least bi-yearly along with Mega Man games. Super easy to blast through them and they still hold up.

Oh, PS I love 3D Blast. Yeaaaaaaaaaaah buddy. I firmly believe that's a perspective that could make for another awesome Sonic game. Look at Mario 3D World, do something like that but toss in Sonic and more speed and it could be amazing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Everyone forgets about Sonic Spinball.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Because the music is just as bad as Yoshi Story's.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:Because the music is just as bad as Yoshi Story's.

You really need to get your TV's speakers checked; there must be a raccoon inside scraping bare wires together if you think either of those things are true.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:I'd be surprised if anyone who likes 1 doesn't like CD though, you can tell that's the same team at work on those.

I like Sonic 1, I don't care for CD. I just absolutely hate the levels no matter how hard I try to get into it. They feel like someone sneezed on graph paper and handed it to the level designer.

Other than that it would be alright I guess though I also find most of the bosses lame. The only truly memorable bit besides the music is the Metal Sonic race and while I like that moment even it is kind of shaky.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah I can't deny CD has the worst final boss of all time.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sonic 1 and Sonic CD shared some personnel, but the teams were not identical.

For example, Hirokazu Yasuhara directed the original Sonic, but Naoto Ohshima directed Sonic CD. Yasuhara instead was busy being the main planner for Sonic 2, and was the director again for Sonic 3 as well as Sonic & Knuckles. If you ask me, he was the secret Sonic sauce. Yasuhara stopped directing Sonic games after Sonic & Knuckles, and the series was never as good again because of that.

So while I love Sonic 1, Sonic CD comes across as far inferior despite sharing some development personnel. My main issue with Sonic CD is that the level designs are terrible. Just. Terrible. However the original Japanese Sonic CD OST is freaking great, and its bonus stages are pretty cool.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I just don't get what was so bad about CD's level design. Because it was very vertical? I love that about it. It allowed for quick speed runs or a lot of exploration if you wanted to find the Metal Sonic and enemy projectors in the past. You have to at least admit, it's one of the most gorgeous games out there in my book. So many layers and detailed scaling backgrounds.

Secret Sonic sauce!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

When I play as Sonic, I want to run, gotta go fast ya know? I love flying through levels with full momentum with as few stops as possible. Sonic 2 is all about that concept for most of its levels.

Sonic CD on the other hand, is constant stop and go, stop and go, stop and go. The levels don't feel smooth and flowing, but very choppy, and more jumping-oriented than running-oriented. And let's be honest, jumping around is Mario's domain. Sonic needs to stick to hauling ass whenever possible.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anyone go to the Amazon.com homepage today? If not, go check it out now while you still got the chance!