Genesis RGB vs. Composite

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Ziggy

Re: Genesis RGB vs. Composite

Post by Ziggy »

chuckster wrote:I know switching from a cheapo knockoff AV cable from Amazon to a DIY shielded version improved my results.

If you're able to make your own cables, then I recommend doing that whenever possible/feasible. All of the newly manufactured cables for retro consoles are pure shit! For the Genesis in particular though, the 32X will probably yield the best improvement.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Ziggy587 wrote:
chuckster wrote:I know switching from a cheapo knockoff AV cable from Amazon to a DIY shielded version improved my results.

If you're able to make your own cables, then I recommend doing that whenever possible/feasible. All of the newly manufactured cables for retro consoles are pure shit! For the Genesis in particular though, the 32X will probably yield the best improvement.

You talking mass-produced cables? Or are you include RetroGamingCables.co.uk? I feel as though they're pretty thick/nice cables but I've only barely started to use them.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I was really just referring to the mass produced crap, like Retro-Bit and similar.

I haven't used RetroGamingCables.co.uk, so I really cannot comment. But I do have some RGB cables from eBay (one of the top sellers, the seller's name escapes me at the moment) and I wasn't impressed so much. They're put together well, no one can deny that. But they're still not shielded correctly. The video and audio signals all go down the cable together, with only an outer shield. A proper analog AV cable should have the signals individually shielded. Not that I've had any problems with said cables, but if you make your own you can be sure they're as good as can be.

And one thing I've learned is that thick doesn't always mean good. Once, when I was making my own AV cable, I spent some time to source an RCA audio cable that looked good. I got a nice thick set. When I cut them open to make my cable, I found out that the jacket was REALLY THICK, but the wire gauge was incredibly thin (I don't recall the exact gauge, but it was thinner than 22 AWG) and I wasn't impressed with the shielding. Point is, thick cables can be deceiving.