[HOW TO] Official DreamPi Thread

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Ghudda
128-bit

Re: [HOW TO] Official DreamPi Thread

Post by Ghudda »

fastbilly1 wrote:I am going to look through my empty project boxes this week and see if I can find one big enough to hold the entire project. The Pi, modem, capacitor, and resistor, are in the mail.

Nice, keep us updated on what you end up using for your project box. I would really like to have this thing be an all-in-one as well. The casing on the modem isn't too friendly, either, so I'd probably have to remove the pi and the modem from their housing, which shouldn't be a big deal.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

so question,

There have been a couple of times where, after I power my Dreamcast off, instead of the Pi dropping the dial-up connection and then going back into "Listening" mode, it will crash. If your DreamPi spits out any CALLEDPROCESSERRORS, just unplug your modem and plug it back in and then re-run the start and daemon commands.

If I understand correctly, the DreamPi isn't ultimately just a stand-alone box solution. You will need to keep a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it at all times? Like, once it's set up do you need to type commands every time you use it or is does it just work when you switch it on?
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

noiseredux wrote:so question,

There have been a couple of times where, after I power my Dreamcast off, instead of the Pi dropping the dial-up connection and then going back into "Listening" mode, it will crash. If your DreamPi spits out any CALLEDPROCESSERRORS, just unplug your modem and plug it back in and then re-run the start and daemon commands.

If I understand correctly, the DreamPi isn't ultimately just a stand-alone box solution. You will need to keep a monitor and keyboard hooked up to it at all times? Like, once it's set up do you need to type commands every time you use it or is does it just work when you switch it on?

Correct, you do need to be able to access the Pi's command line in order to send it command line arguments, but that can be done remotely, which is what I suggest.

Ideally, you'll remote into it with a program like PuTTY, where, with the IP address of the Pi, you access the Pi's command line from your desktop. That way you never have to connect it to a monitor, keyboard, etc and can still send commands to the Pi. It's pretty straight forward. I can help you set it up if or when the time comes, bruh.

I'm sure there is a way to get it to boot and automatically go into listening mode, but it may require a custom script, which I'm going to look into. But the thing is susceptible to crashing when it disconnects from the device, in which you will have to manually start it back up again.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I'm feeling like you could find a way to write a couple scripts and maybe semi-automate it with an LCD screen and a couple of buttons, kinda like the PiForce Tools setup that I (and I know others) have to netboot their Naomi.

It's way above my head to do that, mind you, but I imagine for the right person it could be fairly simple.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

Updated my guide to include DreamPi v1.2 instead of 1.0.
1.2 fixed a lot of things, including the error I had described where you have to unplug and the plug your modem back in.

v1.2 also includes support for Dreamcast Now!, which is a community portal for the DreamPi. I'll add some info to my guide later.
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

im going to start getting parts together to get online, and was curious as to which version of PSO you are using? Are you using a legit copy or a burn? if its a burn, did you use the shared serial number listed on the link in the OP?

I had my DC playing PSO a while ago using the BBA and remember burning a version that was basically ready to go and worked without any additional tweaks, there was a glitch though that if someone joined a game while on the planet, the game would freeze and your save data would be corrupt! You had to make sure people only joined while on the ship.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

So I have a legit copy of PSO ver.2 on its way, and will buy the necessary components for the dreampi setup this week, hopefully I will be online by this weekend!
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

All my parts for the DreamPi got lost in the mail...eventually they will show up.
jay_red
Next-Gen

Post by jay_red »

dreampi is a success! I played some quake 3 matches tonight with the DC talk guys and had a blast!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

and projects like this are one of the reasons I love the community. Awesome to see as someone who played on the DC via dialup in it's original time on store shelves!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5