SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Dangers of using controllers on wrong system? (Gen/SMS/2

by pierrot Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
pierrot wrote:After glancing at some schematics, I was about to rescind my endorsement of using the Genesis controller on other consoles

Do you mind explaining why from a technical standpoint?

I'm not sure that I feel sufficiently qualified to declare it safe, or not, but I don't see any issues with using the Genesis controller on the SMS. They both appear to use pin 5 for power, and pin 8 for ground. My concern is with the 2600 and Colecovision. The former appears to use pins 7 and 8 for power and ground, respectively. The schematic for the Colecovision was somewhat hypothetical, so I don't know that I would really want to sit down and analyze it, but it's much more complicated. According to that schematic, pins 5 and 8 are tied to some combination logic for controller enabling, but they're also tied to -5 volt power. The voltage divider tied to arrays of pull-down resistors (of some, apparently, undetermined values) on the controller inputs, also confuses me a bit. I know that I've used the Genesis controller with the Colecovision once before, though.

Regardless, my main concern would be for the multiplexer chip in the Genesis controller. It probably has high impedance on the outputs, but--.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:27 pm

So what components do you feel would be at risk of failure?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

by ApolloBoy Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:34 pm

pierrot wrote:My concern is with the 2600 and Colecovision. The former appears to use pins 7 and 8 for power and ground, respectively.

There shouldn't be a single issue with the 2600. The select pin for the multiplexer inside the Genesis controller would be held high with 5V (which is perfectly fine for a TTL chip like this), so there would be absolutely no problem using a Genesis controller with the 2600.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:43 pm

You're right, that pin is tied to the selector pin. It's still concerning, though: Not due to the voltage; rather, current.

Edit - Just to elaborate on that thought: It's not a good practice to tie an input high, off the 5V rail, without a current limiting resistor in series.
Thierry Henry
Next-Gen

by Thierry Henry Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:40 am

samsonlonghair wrote:My mighty Genesis controller has not caused any damage in any other console.

Not on any other "console" but I've had issues when using a Genny pad on my Commodore 64.
One of the C64 chips got damaged.
"There are three kinds of suns in Missouri: Sunshines, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches"
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:15 pm

Thierry Henry wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:My mighty Genesis controller has not caused any damage in any other console.

Not on any other "console" but I've had issues when using a Genny pad on my Commodore 64.
One of the C64 chips got damaged.

Really? Fascinating.

You're the first person I've spoken to with first hand experience of a Genesis controller harming any other system. This makes me reconsider my cavalier attitude regarding DB9 post-facto interoperability.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:23 pm

Genesis controller is fine for 2600.
Do NOT use one with the C64.
ColecoVision is an interesting case. I've never even bothered to try as so many Coleco games require more buttons than the Genesis controller possesses.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

by KalessinDB Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Yeah basically every Colecovision game I've played requires the num pad to choose difficulty level on boot up if nothing else.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
Return to Sega