SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: How is your Sega CD gaming going?

by noiseredux Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:53 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I don't have too many SCD games, but I really enjoyed Rise of the Dragon. It's a fairly campy cyper-punk-ish point&click with some delightfully cheesy voice acting.

I've always meant to play that one. Looks pretty unique.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:00 am

noiseredux wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I don't have too many SCD games, but I really enjoyed Rise of the Dragon. It's a fairly campy cyper-punk-ish point&click with some delightfully cheesy voice acting.

It is a bit flawed, with lots of ways to make the game unbeatable, but there is a lot of charm and atmosphere. I rented it on the Sega cd when I was a kid and loved it. Still enjoy it to thisnday, if not only because you can leave your apartment in your underwear and get a game over.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:06 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:you can leave your apartment in your underwear and get a game over

so realistic
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:11 am

noiseredux wrote:

Play the PC version. The Sega CD version is watered down in multiple ways.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

by Czernobog Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:58 pm

I tend to only pick up games I find in the wild so my Sega CD shelf is pretty sparse, but I have a lot of fun with what's there.

I have a soft spot for the FMV games, especially Night Trap and Corpse Killer. Sonic CD is one of my favorite Sonic games and it's a game I tend to grab pretty often. Always wanted to look into the RPGs/ARPGs more, but they tend to be prohibitively expensive. I'm happy with the other versions of Lunars, but do want to try out the Popful Mail version that's on there.

I have played through Vay and some of Dark Wizard. Dark Wizard is a ridiculous time-sink which I just can't get into. Vay has some of the most batshit insane up and down difficulty I've ever seen in an RPG. I remember wrecking one boss in like three hits and then getting to a fairly close boss soon after where you either needed to grind for hours or the fight could take like an hour with constant healing as long as you brought a metric shit-ton of healing items.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:52 pm

yeah mane, I love Sonic CD. I remember getting that back in the day and that animated music video intro just seemed so badass.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Czernobog, I am glad to see more fmv love! Corpse Killer is a ridiculously awesome game that is filled with so much cheese, you would think it was a stuffed crust pizza!

You know what the best thing is about collecting fmv games? They cost next to nothing. One day they are gonna jump in price, mark my words.

I would highly recommend wirehead for people's fmv needs. There is no learning curve and obtuse mechanics like with supreme warrior and it is hysterically bad in every way imaginable.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

by Czernobog Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:24 pm

@Noise, hell yeah! The intro blew me away the first time I watched it!

@Bogus, I really need to get into more of the FMV games. They have a certain unique charm of their era that I really dig. Played plenty on PC, but there's more on the SCD I need to check out. I also need to get around to the Jurassic Park point and click.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:40 pm

Sewer Shark and Night Trap are must haves on SCD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:44 am

Czernobog wrote:I tend to only pick up games I find in the wild so my Sega CD shelf is pretty sparse, but I have a lot of fun with what's there.

Same here. The last Sega CD game I played through was Sonic CD, but I really need to get more into collecting for it. It's a great little piece of hardware. I, also, wish it were easier to play imports on it.

What are some of y'all's affordable (under $30) Sega CD suggestions for whenever I decide to break out a bit with the system?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Sega