How is your Sega CD gaming going?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: How is your Sega CD gaming going?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Alright BoneSnap, your mission --should you choose to accept it-- is to play the Mega-CD version of Shadowrun and report back here. Optionally, you may compare/contrast it with Y's for the PCengine CD-ROM.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

samsonlonghair wrote:Alright BoneSnap, your mission --should you choose to accept it-- is to play the Mega-CD version of Shadowrun and report back here. Optionally, you may compare/contrast it with Y's for the PCengine CD-ROM Sega Saturn.

fixed.
bryan_65
Next-Gen

Post by bryan_65 »

I have been playing a lot of Road Rash lately, with some Robo Aleste thrown in. My Sega CD games are all I have unpacked at the moment and the Sega trio is all I have hooked up. Yes I have been slacking with all my other systems. I feel the library of Sega CD games is small but there are some real standouts. I really do need to unpack my Genesis and 32x games though. The next game I am dying to get is Mickey Mania, gonna see if I can get my daughter into it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

noiseredux wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Alright BoneSnap, your mission --should you choose to accept it-- is to play the Mega-CD version of Shadowrun and report back here. Optionally, you may compare/contrast it with Y's for the PCengine CD-ROM Sega Saturn.

fixed.

:lol:

I have played the Saturn Ys games. They're basically enhanced ports of the Turbo ports, though they are once again separate instead of merged into one lengthy experience.

I've been debating importing some Mega CD RPGs. I'm hesitant because I know there's no real good way to play them on legit hardware. Though at this point I think I'm just as willing to use Kega Fusion.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I actually meant to ask about that. I'm surprised that to this day there's no good way for playing SCD imports on real hardware.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've been debating importing some Mega CD RPGs. I'm hesitant because I know there's no real good way to play them on legit hardware. Though at this point I think I'm just as willing to use Kega Fusion.

Doesn't the Mega Everdrive allow you to boot imports?
Not the cheapest option, but a means to an end if so (I don't have one just yet, but soon... :wink: )
...just another lost soul...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looking at import prices on eBay... I may have to snag Illusion City someday. I freakin' love Micro Cabin.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I love the Sega CD. Severely underrated hardware.

nightrnr wrote:Doesn't the Mega Everdrive allow you to boot imports?

It does. Although, using the backup memory along with it is a bit tricky. I haven't quite figured it out, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying, either.

I played through Shadowrun last winter, and it was pretty good, but not extraordinary. I wrote some cursory thoughts about it in my backloggery. (http://www.backloggery.com/games.php?user=pierrot&console=SCD) I went on a bit of a cyberpunk binge with Snatcher, Shadowrun, and Illusion City, which were all very thematically similar. The gameplay of Shadowrun was much more similar to Snatcher than Illusion City, though. Illusion City was a pretty good time, as well, but it suffered a bit in the conversion from PC architecture.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

pierrot wrote:It does. Although, using the backup memory along with it is a bit tricky. I haven't quite figured it out, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying, either.

Thanks for the affirmation and info.
Was thinking maybe importing Keio, but damn, even the Jpn version is pricey.
Yeah, not going to own that one. I think my collection is as complete as it's likely to get (~45 games).

For a random tidbit in my own history:
The Sega CD is the only system that I have completed Prince of Persia on. I have no idea why I had so much more patience with this version.
...just another lost soul...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I don't have too many SCD games, but I really enjoyed Rise of the Dragon. It's a fairly campy cyper-punk-ish point&click with some delightfully cheesy voice acting.

I also picked up Dungeon Explorer on it, and DANG, that thing is hard. I thought the Turbografx version was hard, but man that takes it up a notch.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me