20 Years of Top 20 Gaming

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Tempest
16-bit

20 Years of Top 20 Gaming

Post by Tempest »

Since it's the 20th anniversary of the PAL Saturn launch (okay, I'm several months late), I've created a 14-page document celebrating the best 20 games available for the Saturn in PAL territories. It's been designed as a homage to SEGA Saturn Magazine and the Top 50 feature they ran in issue #28. You can download it HERE.

I've put a lot of effort into it over the last few months and would love to know what you think.

While everyone won't agree with some of my choices and the order of the games, I'm sure we can all agree that the games in the list are great fun.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: 20 Years of Top 20 Gaming

Post by noiseredux »

dude, this is phenomenal. Good work!

Of course I disagree with a few things (namely, including both versions of Daytona in a 20-slot list) but that's comes with the territory of making lists. Of just skimmed thru for now, but it's so well laid out. When I get a chance I'm gonna print it out double-sided and read through it physically. Kudos!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Thanks for this, the presentation hit me in the nostalgia. While I didn't have a Saturn during its lifespan (it was essentially dead by the time I got a Playstation), it's one of my favourite systems now. Nice to see Exhumed placed so highly as well, it's a real gem of a game. Might have to have a Saturnday tomorrow. Bust out yo light guns, fight sticks and race wheels.
flash1987
24-bit

Post by flash1987 »

Awesome article, love the retro gamemag style.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Hmm. I must say I found your efforts here rather interesting. Great layout. Very nostalgic. An interesting top 20.
I've been recently devoting alot of time to my Saturn. This perhaps as a result of finding quite a few Saturn imports titles in my area (Savaki, Shinoken, Vsav, FM, FV etc.) Also recently found an import copy of Sega Rally about 2 weeks ago. Started playing it last night with other racers like Sega Touring Car. Rally is still as addicting and well crafted on the Saturn as I fondly remembered so it's quite fitting you chose it as #1.
Goodtimes.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

Post by SNESdrunk »

Fantastic, this is great, thanks for posting
Tempest
16-bit

Post by Tempest »

Thanks everyone.

noiseredux wrote:dude, this is phenomenal. Good work!

Of course I disagree with a few things (namely, including both versions of Daytona in a 20-slot list) but that's comes with the territory of making lists. Of just skimmed thru for now, but it's so well laid out. When I get a chance I'm gonna print it out double-sided and read through it physically. Kudos!

In hindsight, I agree. Daytona USA was in and out of the list so much during my ordering of the games. It's an awesome game to be sure, and is the only way Saturn owners can play a game that plays like the coin-op, however, it's a bad port and unoptimised PAL conversion and in hindsight I wish I had left it off the list.

I also considered leaving Duke 3D, Quake, and Pandemonium off, since they are PC and PS1 ports, but they are really enjoyable games regardless.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

no, no - I think Daytona SHOULD be on the list. Just not twice.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

reading through this more thoroughly and really enjoying it. I'd like to print it out on some nice glossy paper. Good work, Tempest.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'm going to echo noiseredux and say that Daytona USA should definitely be on the list but only once. I'd throw Die Hard Arcade into the discussion, too. I LOVE that game (it's actually the reason I bought a Saturn six or seven years ago). I played it ALL the time in the arcade as a kid (the few that I could find still open), and it was the first Saturn game I picked up. I know it's just a reskin of another Sega series (the name eludes me - Dynamite Cop, maybe? I don't remember), but it's a fantastic bit of fun.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.