SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Best way to play Saturn and Dreamcast?

by Reprise Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:24 am

Thanks for the information. That was really helpful. So basically, either buy a UK style plug that matches the specs of the Japanese plug, or get a step down converter?

I've looked at step down converters on Amazon and Google, but they ALL seem to advertise that they are for running USA electrical equipment in the UK. Will one of these work or must it be one that is specifically for running Japanese electrical equipment in the UK?

I just realised I've used consolepassion.co.uk before for retro games. I might check them to see if they sell step down converters or anything.

Edit: Just looked on consolepassion.co.uk. They're out of stock, but they claim the step-down converter they usually sell would work with USA or Japanese machines. Is this correct for all step down converters?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Catch22
8-bit

by Catch22 Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:42 pm

marurun wrote:But does anyone still provide the chips any longer? I can't help but wonder if that ship has sailed.

Holy crap, I didn't even notice that SegaStyle is not even listing it anymore.

I just emailed ConsoleGoods for 3 of the V3 Universals. Hopefully, it's still available from the creator of these boards.

It would really suck if these aren't available anymore as it's not too expensive at >$40, and is a breeze to install on the majority of Saturns out there which doesn't require any soldering to the Saturn itself. This is really close to a plug-and-play solution for backups.

alienjesus wrote:
Reprise wrote:If I was to buy a chipped region modded (and 60hz/50hz switch moded) Japanese Saturn, does anyone what I would need to get it to work in the UK?

I know I'd need a 230V-110V voltage converter thing? Are they expensive? Would I still need a Japanese-UK plug converter or just the voltage converter?

Anyone from the UK ever had (or still have) a Japanese system and know what you need to make sure it works in the UK?

Thanks.

If you want to use the Japanese plug you'll need a step down converter. It's possible to get one which will have the right pin input and output (ie. Japanese 2 pin to British 3 pin plug sockets).

You could also attempt to match the plug specs. I'm no expert on this, but if you can find a plug that fits the Saturn, accepts a 230V input and outputs the same voltage, current, polarity and amperage as the Japanese plug, it should work fine. This is how I plug in both my Virtual Boy and my PC Engine Duo R.

It's REALLY important you match the specs though. I don't know if you have some leeway on the amperage, but I'd try to stick as close as possible anyway.

Your Japanese plug should say something like:

Input: 110V AC, 60Hz, 15W
Output: 10V DC, 800mA
It will also have a polarity symbol like this:

Your 'Input' on the UK plug should match the UK power supply (so 230V). If you're buying from a UK seller you won't have to worry here. The output is what goes into the console.

Voltage and amperage is easy to match. Make sure if your original plug says DC that you use a plug that says DC too, and the same for AC. You'll probably blow your console otherwise.

Make sure the polarity symbol matches exactly too.

If you want to keep it simple, you can order from here: http://en.retrogamesupply.com/. It comes from France and takes a week or two to arrive. The plugs feel a little short and cheap too, but it takes out the difficulty of finding your own!

EDIT: It appears that site doesn't have any Saturn plugs. That's a shame, sorry!

Sorry dude, most of your response is wrong.

What one would need if he/she is to use a [US (120V) or JP (110V) Saturn] in the [UK (240V)] would be a 'Step Down' Transformer. Looking at the specs for a UK Type G outlet, they are usually 13 (amperes). Most US and Japanese outlets (Mains) are 15-20A. The difference in Voltage is what matters, but the amperage really does not as most available outlets around the home would be in the 15A range. Just stay away from the higher amperage outlets for major appliances, but those plugs should be a different shape so you don't plug in regular items into them. Also different from US/JP outlet specs are the frequency (oscillation) as the UK spec is 50hz while the US/JP is 60z.

Just make sure your step down transformer outputs to a 'Type A' plug which is used in the US and Japan (as well as Canada and Mexico) and power output is rated at minimum 90-120V, amperage in about the 15A range, and frequency at 60hz.

Here's one that could work:
http://voltage-converter-transformers.c ... Anam8P8HAQ
I only say could as until you try it, it's still up in the air. Just test it with something cheap first before putting in expensive equipment.

What the above poster was referring to is an external power supply (wall wart), which the Saturn does not have as it has an internal power supply, hence the straight cord that is used.

And obviously, the video output would also need to be addressed- 50hz vs 60hz. But since you're getting a 50/60hz modded console, all that would be needed is the step down transformer.

Hope that helps.

BTW, don't worry about the negligible voltage difference of the JP and US Saturns. The JP Saturn can run on 110-120 volts no with no problems of blowing.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:53 pm

Damn, it's all pretty complicated. I might have to leave it for now, as the Saturn I'm looking at is already pricey as it is.

Shame, there's a region modded Saturn with a 50/60 switch on Ebay for only about £50 and it's a UK model, so they'd be no worrying about a step down transformer, but the seller says the cartridge slot doesn't work.

To think my region free, 50/60hz Mega Drive only cost me about £15... and my region free Dreamcast only cost £40...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Catch22
8-bit

by Catch22 Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:42 pm

Reprise wrote:Damn, it's all pretty complicated. I might have to leave it for now, as the Saturn I'm looking at is already pricey as it is.

Shame, there's a region modded Saturn with a 50/60 switch on Ebay for only about £50 and it's a UK model, so they'd be no worrying about a step down transformer, but the seller says the cartridge slot doesn't work.

To think my region free, 50/60hz Mega Drive only cost me about £15... and my region free Dreamcast only cost £40...

Actually, my response was complicated as I like to be really detailed about responses, but in this case, I'll simplify it.

If you want to play a NTSC Saturn on your UK outlet with a PAL display, it's really simple. Just buy the 'Step Down Transformer.' You just need a '240V 50Hz to 120V 60Hz step down transformer' like the one I included in the link. THAT'S IT. Since the Saturn is already modded with a 50/60hz switch, all you would need is the transformer. If you tried playing with an regular NTSC Saturn on a PAL display, it would not look right, hence the need for the 50/60hz switch.

AGAIN, IT'S REALLY SIMPLE, YOU JUST NEED THE STEP DOWN TRANSFORMER.

If the Saturn you want is already 50/60hz modified, and is a UK machine, and region modded, then you don't need anything else to play it. JUST PLUG IT RIGHT IN AND PLAY IT. You just might have problems playing some imports as some will only look right with a 60hz output. Unfortunately, your displays there are 50hz.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:23 am

Catch22 wrote:Unfortunately, your displays there are 50hz.

Actually, that's not true anymore. Nearly all our TVs here are now capable of supporting 50hz and 60hz, as well as PAL and NTSC signals. Both of my TVs are fine for this kind of thing.

Thanks for the rest of your post though. That did simplify it. What I'm saying, is the Saturn I want is Japanese, but it's really expensive already, without having to buy a transformer on top of it. Some of them aren't too expensive, but they don't seem to be so good (one even says "warning, not adequate for permanent use and should not be used for any more than one hour at any given time").

There is a Saturn exactly the same (region modded, 50/60 switch) that is a UK Saturn and less than half the price of the above Japanese one, BUT the cartridge slot is broken (which I need, as all Saturn users should, because I use a memory cartridge for saving and own a RAM cart).

So I'll save my money for a bit, think about it, and if the Japanese Saturn is still available in a month's time, I might pick it up and get a step down transformer.

Thanks for the help.

zyrobs
8-bit

by zyrobs Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Reprise wrote:If I was to buy a chipped region modded (and 60hz/50hz switch moded) Japanese Saturn, does anyone what I would need to get it to work in the UK?

I know I'd need a 230V-110V voltage converter thing? Are they expensive? Would I still need a Japanese-UK plug converter or just the voltage converter?

Anyone from the UK ever had (or still have) a Japanese system and know what you need to make sure it works in the UK?

Thanks.

Getting a NTSC Saturn with 50/60hz mod is complicated (and ultimately unnecessary). It's easier to get a PAL one with 50/60hz mod instead. The reason being that, while PAL colour encoding + 60hz is compatible with most TV systems nowadays, NTSC colour encoding + 50hz is not. Some projectors may support it but most TV sets will not.

This is not a problem if you use RGB colour of course, but the RGB Scart cables shipped with PAL Saturns are incompatible with NTSC machines due to the console pinout being different.

So you are better off getting a PAL Saturn and modding it for 60hz. It is easier to do, will get you colour output via composite if your TV supports PAL60, and it is compatible with first party RGB Scart cables. And you don't have to mess around with stepdown converters.

But if you want to get a Japanese Saturn to work in the UK, you will need a stepdown converter.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:09 am

zyrobs wrote:Getting a NTSC Saturn with 50/60hz mod is complicated (and ultimately unnecessary). It's easier to get a PAL one with 50/60hz mod instead. The reason being that, while PAL colour encoding + 60hz is compatible with most TV systems nowadays, NTSC colour encoding + 50hz is not. Some projectors may support it but most TV sets will not.

This is not a problem if you use RGB colour of course, but the RGB Scart cables shipped with PAL Saturns are incompatible with NTSC machines due to the console pinout being different.

So you are better off getting a PAL Saturn and modding it for 60hz. It is easier to do, will get you colour output via composite if your TV supports PAL60, and it is compatible with first party RGB Scart cables. And you don't have to mess around with stepdown converters.

But if you want to get a Japanese Saturn to work in the UK, you will need a stepdown converter.

I think the JPN Saturn I was looking at comes with the RGB scart, but thanks for reminding me, I forgot about NTSC50 being a problem on most televisions.

I do already own a PAL Saturn BTW. I just fancied having one which is region free (although, I do own the Action Replay) and had the 50/60 mod so that I can play my Japanese games (and unoptimised PAL games) in 60hz. The only one on Ebay is a Japanese model, other than the PAL one I mentioned with the broken cartridge slot.

I know the the 50/60 switch mod is supposed to be very easy, BTW, but I haven't done soldering in years and years, don't own a soldering iron and to be honest, I'd still rather a professional did it and made it look as good as possible. I don't know anyone that does it around here, so it would be easier to buy one with the mod already done.

zyrobs
8-bit

by zyrobs Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:10 am

I have a spare PAL Saturn I could sell you, if you want. It has a modchip + region free bios + 50/60hz switch on the back.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:56 pm

zyrobs wrote:I have a spare PAL Saturn I could sell you, if you want. It has a modchip + region free bios + 50/60hz switch on the back.

How much are you looking for it?

zyrobs
8-bit

by zyrobs Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:54 pm

100€ for the console + a grey controller + scart cable, or 80€ if you only want the console without cables. Plus shipping.
Return to Sega