SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
SpaceBooger

Volgarr The Viking - Dreamcast!

by SpaceBooger Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:03 am

I kickstarted the Volgarr and love it. Its a perfect retro style arcade game. Now it's free to download for the DC!

*source: The Dreamcast Junkyard
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Volgarr The Viking - Dreamcast!

by Tanooki Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:41 pm

I take it this is more fleshed out than the overly hard as nails original PC version right? I got that somewhere I think in one of those humble bundles and it set me off pretty quickly but in all fairness the deaths were cheap ones since I can not play well on its default setup. I should look and see if that old thing works on a game pad as I remember being stuck on a keyboard.
SpaceBooger

by SpaceBooger Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:54 am

Tanooki wrote:I take it this is more fleshed out than the overly hard as nails original PC version right? I got that somewhere I think in one of those humble bundles and it set me off pretty quickly but in all fairness the deaths were cheap ones since I can not play well on its default setup. I should look and see if that old thing works on a game pad as I remember being stuck on a keyboard.

I only played it for a couple minutes on the DC, but it seems like the same exact game. The PC port is better, and I have used a gamepad for it. It is a hard game though - reminiscent of Ghosts 'n Goblins.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
jay_red
Next-Gen

by jay_red Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:27 pm

just watched the gameplay video and it looks pretty cool, i'll have to give it a download.
My trade thread, updated 7/14
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=30531&p=421248#p421248
Anthony817
128-bit

by Anthony817 Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:31 am

Newly updated version supporting achievements among other fixes!

Version History:

2015-10-13:

* (Taron) Added support for Achievement and Records tracking
* (Taron) Fixed World 4 Boss Theme music sometimes not playing
* (Taron) Added support for graphics clip rects (scissor test), to hide elements that aren't supposed to be visible (most notably the treasure pile being visible under the floor in the Home Base room).
* (Taron) Fade out between maps is now properly fading to/from Black instead of White
* (Taron) Swapped the order of the Water and Undead worlds to restore the original intended order of those Worlds (they are only out of order on other platforms due to late tester feedback and they were never swapped back due to not wanting to mess up Leaderboard scores, which doesn't apply here).

2015-08-21:

* (Taron) Fixed music not playing when level restarts after player dies
* (Taron) Added support for pitch-shifting sound effects
* (Taron) Fixed music volume level balancing not being applied
* (Taron) Added support for music loop-back points

http://www.volgarrtheviking.com/dreamca ... -10-13.zip
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:33 pm

ah cool, gonna have to try the updated version - as a Rastan fan, this one's brutal but pretty enjoyable
SegaDude

by SegaDude Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:04 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:I kickstarted the Volgarr and love it. Its a perfect retro style arcade game. Now it's free to download for the DC!

*source: The Dreamcast Junkyard

@SpaceBooger. I had no idea about this release! Thanks for sharing this news.
I also kickstarted Volgarr and I love the game. It's perfect in every way.
I'm going to try out this Dreamcast version right away :)

Tanooki wrote:I take it this is more fleshed out than the overly hard as nails original PC version right? I got that somewhere I think in one of those humble bundles and it set me off pretty quickly but in all fairness the deaths were cheap ones since I can not play well on its default setup. I should look and see if that old thing works on a game pad as I remember being stuck on a keyboard.

@Tanooki I've played it a lot on the PC and on a keyboard I find it's not very playable. It's way too hard to properly control Volgarr.
Try using a joystick (I'm using the Logitech F310 Gamepad) and you'll find it's an entirely different experience. Still a hard game but very playable and very rewarding. This game rocks!
-Sega Dude

Visit me @ http://RetroMegabit.com
Return to Sega