PS2 > DC converter for FPS games

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

PS2 > DC converter for FPS games

Post by r0bot j0nes »

A friend of mine and I invested in a Dreamcast with a bunch of games because we really miss couch multiplayer. We're really enjoying Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament, but the controls are a bit hard to get used to, and like them WAY more on their PS2 counterparts.

Also, the DC controller is really killing Outtrigger for us. Game seems really fun but the controls are really confusing. =/

If we invest in a pair of DC > PS2 converters, will the games operate properly with a twin-thumbstick setup? We know KB/M is vastly superior, but we prefer to use controllers.

Thanks!
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 > DC converter for FPS games

Post by JoeAwesome »

Short answer: No.

The converter will not change the signal of the DC analog stick to the PS2's right analog stick, nor will using a Dual Stick, per CRT's reports. A hard mod may allow it, but that's beyond my expertise.
r0bot j0nes
16-bit

Post by r0bot j0nes »

Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling it was a long-shot, but it never hurts to ask. We'll just get used to the controls! :lol:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Keyboard/mouse isn't a bad option, considering you and your friend could also play The Typing of the Dead. In fact, I'd recommend picking up two keyboards just for that game. I had a blast playing it with friends, and even just by myself.
Anthony817
128-bit

Post by Anthony817 »

I am fully used to how the controls are on FPS games on DC, but I also bought the mouse and keyboard 4 1/2 years or so ago. It is a good investment for FPS games, but even then it is nice for games like Typing of the Dead and even for many older 80's PC emulators as it effectively can transform the DC into an Atari ST PC or Amiga or C64. That is where the real beauty lies.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

There's a setup in Outtrigger where it makes the controls dual stick-esque by turning the controller upside down :lol:

I've tried it before. It's... ok.