Saturn good laser but still not spinning

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
mike3640

Saturn good laser but still not spinning

Post by mike3640 »

Hello All I have installed a new laser from known working sega saturn but my console still says "detecting disc format" and then nothing. The disc does not spin or anything. The problem happened after a failed modchip install but the unit was working before that. Everything reads correctly with a multimeter. Should I just assume the units done and that the problem lies with the mobo/cd deck or the spindle motor? I have tried lifting the spindle and a new laser and nothing works.
Catch22
8-bit

Re: Saturn good laser but still not spinning

Post by Catch22 »

I assume you're installing a V3 universal? I'd say check the orientation of the ribbon cables on the mod chip.

Did you try to put the laser back into the known working unit to see if you didn't ruin the laser? Did you try cleaning the laser lens after install?

Do a recheck to see if the laser is really still functional- reinstall laser pickup into old working unit. Or you could swap the whole laser pcb/pick-up assembly if both Saturns are the same.

Obviously, try removing the mod-chip and getting everything back to stock first and see if that works. Then try the above.
mike3640

Post by mike3640 »

I did put the laser back in the other unit and it still works. This unit wont work with or without a modchip and with any known good laser
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

hi mike , on your TV are there 2 red cubes or 2 green ?