Dreamcast Arcade Stick Compatibility?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Dreamcast Arcade Stick Compatibility?

Post by brunoafh »

I recently ordered the Agetec HKT-7300 stick and am having issues with Virtual On and Frame Gride (those are the only games I have on hand at the moment to test with). I've read that some games won't work well because of the analog stick and d-pad situation (which obviously makes sense). But I'm having an issue with buttons too.

For Frame Gride, outside of the menus nothing is responsive. None of the buttons or the stick do anything. With Virtual On, A B X Y and the stick seems to work, but C and Z don't do anything. I assumed C and Z were supposed to be the trigger buttons (which are used to attack in Virtual On), am I wrong about that? Not sure what else they'd be unless they are A+B and X+Y.

Do these issues sound normal, or does it sound like an issue with the controller? Is there like a list of compatible arcade stick DC games? I can't seem to find one. In my limited experience with stick controllers, they should basically work exactly the same as a normal controller, other than the potential issue with the d-pad and analog stick thing. It seems weird that some buttons would just not work at all for certain games.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Re: Dreamcast Arcade Stick Compatibility?

Post by ExedExes »

On the back of DC game cases, if you see "Arcade Stick" then it's a compatible game.

North American case example: Capcom vs. SNK
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

Thanks, that was the issue. Virtual On say it's compatible with the twin stick controller and Frame Gride doesn't have any arcade stick compatibility on the back of the case. I tried a fighter that said arcade stick compatible and it worked fine.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

brunoafh wrote:Thanks, that was the issue. Virtual On say it's compatible with the twin stick controller and Frame Gride doesn't have any arcade stick compatibility on the back of the case. I tried a fighter that said arcade stick compatible and it worked fine.

The Arcade Stick works with any Dpad controlled game. Though the Arcade Stick Icon may not be on the game cover, most Fighter, SHMUPs and Emulated Arcade games work with the Dpad as well as your Arcade Stick.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Yeah I've had two of them for years (maybe 3? Not sure if I inherited my buddy's when he moved out or not) and never had a problem, though I mostly play fighters and Chu Chu Rocket...
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread