SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Ok seriously, where have all the manuals gone?

by Reprise Sun May 08, 2016 4:20 am

jbeedham wrote:
Fragems wrote:I think a big part of the newer stuff losing manuals and cases is a combination of people not taking care of their shit as others have stated as well as the fact that the bigger chains like gamestop don't value a loose game any higher then a CIB game.

Game Shops that don't care either are a big problem too. That is one reason why I would not buy used games from gamestop. Remember, every dollar is a vote. Don't buy used incomplete games if you don't want that.

Random story, I remember my mum buying a second hand copy of a DS game from GAME (UK equivalent of GameStop) with my brother. She went to buy it and the guy said "it doesn't have the manual, is that alright?"

So my mum asked if there was a copy with the manual and how much it would cost. The guy said there wasn't and then pointed out that the price of the game second hand would be the same and they just simply can't promise if they'll be a manuals or not.

That annoyed my mum, but what made her say no and walk away, was when she asked if my brother would need the manual, if the game was easy to play without it and if there was any disadvantages to not having one. The guy responded with "the only real disadvantage to not having the manual, is if you wanted to trade it in to us, we would give less store credit than if it came with the manual".

I rarely see my mum let a business know how shitty she thinks they are, but wow was she not impressed that GAME would sell a game without a manual for the exact same price as with a manual, but then would give her less store credit for it if she traded it back in.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 08, 2016 8:21 am

This asshole happened.

GO GREEN
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun May 08, 2016 7:10 pm

Damn rerprise, they're assholes alright. I mean Gamestop nearly does the same, but they just don't care about the paper both ways and screws you evenly on things.

You know I bumped into something the other day I found sitting around, not sure what's up with it, but I came up with 2 Game & Watch manuals I dont' even have the handhelds for. So that's kind of at odds with this where it's about games without them, I have them without games so I'm selling the things to move them so someone who has one can have it. I just don't see buying Mario Bros or DK2 again as they get stale for me fast.

Personally I've been uptight about paper as a kid. I kept all my 1991~ era Gameboy and SNES (launch forward) boxes and manuals. Only due to moving and a shrew fit from a fiance I lost some boxes over a decade ago, but I've still got all the paper in fantastic condition. I learned a lesson early on in the mid 80s from a douche friend who I lent a game to, Balloon Fight CIB and immaculate (a lot to say for an 8 year old for sure.) Took over a month to get it back, the game would buzz toward the end of the tune upon being returned and the sleeve, box, styro and manual were all 'lost.' Why? The douche parents of the kid and the kid too would lend it around their neighborhood and to friends and they'd just forget or wreck things. Took my mom going postal threatening small claims to get an now enraged ex-friend mom to do cheap threats back and throw the cart at us (literally) to get it back. Ever since only one person I'd lend to is my life long best friend from high school, and his dad was a JAG (1 star judge advocate general) for the USMC and I knew he'd murder the kid if he was dishonorable or disrespectful of property or borrowing time so it was cool. :D
IrishNinja
64-bit

by IrishNinja Mon May 23, 2016 6:05 pm

yeah, its weird since sega actually gave you quality clamshells...that said, ive had to replace a few games loose because it's too pricey otherwise. ive resolved to wait on 3d printing access or just not care & enjoy my games!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon May 23, 2016 7:48 pm

I chose to stop caring. I'll get the case/manual if it doesn't add to the cost or a very wee amount (like $1-10 tops) as I think it's bullshit all the scum out there now are parting out every individual piece. Oh a manual thats $50 because it's Chrono Trigger, oh well that came with 2 posters you can buy those for $50 a piece or $90 for the pair because that's a deal, and of course you have the cardboard tray that's another charge with that cute little baggy. And well we know what the boxes do to things in so-so up to excellent shape. UGH. Demoralizing unless you love pissing money into the wind. I'd rather use those hundreds on something enjoyable. I love manuals, boxes are fun too, but not when they cost as much let alone far more than the games.
Return to Sega