SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Ok seriously, where have all the manuals gone?

by Snatch1414 Thu May 14, 2015 10:59 am

Probably the most frustrating thing about collecting for the SMS and Genesis is the lack of CIB. I have no idea who loses these manuals. I mean I'm sure when I was a kid I lost.....one or two? If you don't care about the manual just keep it in the box. If you do care obviously you'd want to make sure it stayed with the case and game. I just don't understand how it seems like for every CIB game I find I see at least ten that don't have the manual.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Ok seriously, where have all the manuals gone?

by Gunstar Green Thu May 14, 2015 11:02 am

When I was a kid I didn't think like a collector, I took my manuals to school to show my friends or to day dream about my new game while I waited to get home. Most of the time I wouldn't loose them but things happen and they could get lost or damaged.

A lot of games sold on the net were also at one time rental copies meaning their manuals are long gone.

Also I just think a lot of people just don't take good care of their stuff, especially kids.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 14, 2015 11:06 am

Gunstar Green wrote:a lot of people just don't take good care of their stuff

This is the gist of it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu May 14, 2015 11:24 am

When I was a teenager I had an original Xbox and used to bring it to my my friends house like every weekend with all my games, to make it easier I would just store all my games in a binder, and would just throw out all the cases and manuals.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu May 14, 2015 11:46 am

When I bought Phelios (Genesis) last year from eBay, I got the case and the game. No manual. 99% of the North American versions on eBay, even today, don't have a manual. All the Japanese versions do.

Before I traded it at the local game store, I tried to find just a manual for it at eBay and I only ever found *2* listings for it, both of them were in poor shape, creased and folded, and one even had a little water damage.

It's an odd thing especially for Genesis, since their games came in the plastic cases much like today's disc based games do, it shouldn't be difficult to lose a manual in that situation.

EDIT: Then again, the title of this thread could apply to the past couple of generations that don't even *have* manuals anymore.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Thu May 14, 2015 11:54 am

Don't ever think about collecting used PS VIta games. You are going to start getting pissed off at the new generation of kids too thinking they are just as irresponsible as the older generations only to find out there doesn't seem to be a game on that platform with a proper physical manual.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu May 14, 2015 12:08 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:a lot of people just don't take good care of their stuff
This is the gist of it.

I thought this would be a Thread on current games, most only have a digital limited time cloud manual!

Agree its the lazy U.S. consumer. Go to Japan or local BookOff, completely different how the public takes care of their games. As mentioned so many times, how difficult is it to put the stupid manual back in the case you lazy bastards!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 14, 2015 12:14 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:how difficult is it to put the stupid manual back in the case you lazy bastards!

Almost but not quite as difficult as putting the disc back in the case.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu May 14, 2015 12:50 pm

People definitely don't take care of their stuff. Why do I not have a single box or manual to any of my Sega Saturn games? Because, I didn't take care of them as a kid!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu May 14, 2015 1:25 pm

I was pretty ocd about my stuff when I was younger so I had a box full of GB/GBC boxes and manuals. Think it got tossed eventually by my parents during one of our moves though :P . Prior to that I mostly got used stuff so most had no boxes/manual to begin with.

Return to Sega