Next-Gen

Sega Saturn "Rhea" SD Loader

Post by aaron »

Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Ziggy

Re: Sega Saturn "Rhea" SD Loader

Post by Ziggy »

THIS IS AWESOME!

Looks like it currently only supports the model 1 Saturn. As it happens, I have a working model 2 Saturn and a model 1 that has trouble reading discs.

I'm not sure what technical reasons there are for using the DiscJuggler CDI image format, but hopefully this device will eventually support BIN/CUE images.

Do you think this device will be popular right away? It completely replaces the CD drive, which I would think someone would only do if the CD drive is busted. I don't think many people would be willing to take their working CD drive out for this. I suppose a small percentage of people would. The people that can't install a mod chip, replace the BIOS chip, and/or flash an AR cart themselves. The install for this Rhea thing is very simple.

I'm looking forward to see what progress this device makes.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I have been following it for a while, I have a Model 1 and a Model 2 both with dead drives.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Didn't the Dreamcast SD card reader have compatibility issues?

Not sure if it's the same crew, but have seen this lately on CDi and 3DO consoles on ebay. It is USB to HDD versus SD though.

Cool premise, would like to see a compatibility list before investing though. Could see these becoming the "Ever Drives" for optical systems.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm impressed. Maybe I can finally get into the Sega Saturn.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Jagosaurus wrote:Didn't the Dreamcast SD card reader have compatibility issues?

You have to have the "1" revision of the Dreamcast. And it doesn't pass region codes either. That's about it.

Everything works for it as far as I read. You just have to get used to the workarounds because it isn't as easy to use as a flash cart where you just get the menu and pick a game from a list. You have to set up the folders and filenames a certain way for the Dreamcast. And you have to use the Music Player to pick the game (track), and then play the game.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

god, given the toxic high prices of the saturn scene right now, this can't happen fast enough
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

IrishNinja wrote:god, given the toxic high prices of the saturn scene right now, this can't happen fast enough

Truth.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

--EDIT--
Wait a sec, this is about a post on April 1st... sooooo... joke's on me???
--EDIT#2--
Just read the comments to the post. Confirmed April fools. Do I feel sheepish? :oops:

I'll just dust this under the rug, but keep it around for the curious:
I am just learning about this and was pretty excited... until I saw this blurb from his 2015/04/01 post:

In other news, I feel it’s unfair that I only get paid once and you keep playing with the ODE forever. So starting with next FW I will introduce Pay-to-Play system which will limit the active time of the devices to a certain number of hours. Once the time runs out the device will stop working until new FW is flashed. The unlocking FW will be available for a small charge, I’m targeting 1 USD for 25 hours but it’s not set in stone yet.
I’m also thinking of making some of the features like the ability to have more than 20 images on the card an extra, paid for separately. Features will not time out except maybe after a year or so.

Now, the creator can do whatever he wants with the thing and I have absolutely no say in it; I understand and that's fine. But this completely defeats the purpose for me. I'm looking for user freedom in my hardware if at all possible. This ranks up there with DRM to me and I just won't have it. There could be a fee of $0.01 every year and I'd still have a major beef with it. I'd probably be willing to pay more than the asking price, but it better be a one time fee (then leave me the hell alone with my games).

If this happens with GDEMU (the same thing on Dreamcast), then I'm out for both systems.
Unless the current FW doesn't have it yet, then maybe I can just use that :?
...or wait for a hacker who inevitably modifies the FW :twisted:

This makes me sad :cry:
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

RHEA is awesome!
I got mine recently and it's everything I thought it could be :). I've been playing some of my imports on a US system without an action replay plus ;).

It took me some trial and error, but I even got my copies of Shining Force III Sc. 1-3 and Dragon Force II english patched and loading up fine! A domestic release of Shining Force III trilogy has been a Dream of mine, so I'm ecstatic!

Also, the devoloper's latest ODE unit for Saturn will be called Phoebe and will work on 21-pin drives (mostly round button Saturns). My other Saturn's cd drive is still kickin', so I won't need one of those (yet).

Units are back-ordered for both models right now, but if anyone is interested in this, watch his ordering page like a hawk. He usually gives a small heads up (a few days or a week) in the latest post if he will accept orders soon.
...just another lost soul...