Favorite Genesis/MD Super Hero Games?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Favorite Genesis/MD Super Hero Games?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Let's exclude the CD & 32X... what's your favorite super hero themed game & a few honorable mentions?

I've had some lackluster titles over the yrs in this department for the Genesis, looking for a few solid super hero games.

XMen 2 and Batman & Robin as good as they look? How about the Spiderman games (beat em up IIRC)?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Favorite Genesis/MD Super Hero Games?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Regarding Spider-man, I enjoy the game Separation Anxiety. I think Maximum carnage has a wider fan appeal, and I believe it sold more copies. To me, the two-player-co-op mode makes Separation Anxiety the superior game.

My favorite super hero game on Genesis is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist.

The Punisher also stars in a Genesis beat 'em up. This one is hard to find at a decent price, so I had to turn to emulation to play this game. I bought legit cartridges for all the other games I mentioned above.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Adventures of Batman and Robin, hands down.

Its even better than it looks. It takes some adjusting, as its pacing is a little different than something like Contra, but once it clicks, it is a thumping addiction that holds its own even against the bit hitters on the console.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Death & Return of Superman is a fun beat-em-up.

X-Men 2 is an excellent action platformer, iirc.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

The Spiderman games were awesome. Maximum Carnage is great. Not technically a super hero game but Comix Zone is awesome and well worth considering.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

I think a few of us already talked our heads off about Maximum Carnage vs Separation Anxiety in another thread. I like MC better and it's more popular, but some disagree.

Honestly my favorite super hero game for the Genesis is Captain America & The Avengers. Not the best graphics but great music, fun/cheesy voice clips, and a good roster and cameos (much like the first X-Men game). Love the box art too.

Apologies if I already said this. I swear we were just talking about superhero games in another thread here
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Didn't see a thread dedicated to super hero games, esp Genesis only.

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking @ my games, only have The Tick & original XMen.

TMNT HST has been on my list for years!

How are Batman Returns & Revenge of Joker?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

The Adventures of Batman & Robin. Not a very 'super hero-y' game though. It's pretty much a shooter that just uses the Batman characters lol.

Maximum Carnage is a great one too. It very 'super hero-y' and looks like you are playing in a comic book. Great animations, sound effects, and music. I just wish it was 2 players. Separation Anxiety is an ok 2 player game, but it's too clunky and for some reason isn't as fast or better looking. I guess adding a 2nd player added more demand of the hardware to the point where the game couldn't be as good looking and fast.

I was never a fan of the X-Men games (X-men and X-Men 2 Clone Wars). The music was great, but it was a really clunky game to me with awful sound effects.

dunpeal2064 wrote:Adventures of Batman and Robin, hands down.

Its even better than it looks. It takes some adjusting, as its pacing is a little different than something like Contra, but once it clicks, it is a thumping addiction that holds its own even against the bit hitters on the console.
Agreed. The only games that I really got addictive to was some RPGs and WarCraft III. I never thought I'd be addicted to a shooter games (I suck at them so bad) like Batman and Robin, but I am. I can play this title all day. It's really a perfect game for me tbh.

Jagosaurus wrote:The Tick
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Tick is made by the same exact people who made Maximum Carnage. So these 2 titles are very similar. The Tick is an easier game though. Maximum Carnage is a toughy.

In fact, when I played it, I felt like I was playing the exact same game just with the Tick characters.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

Jagosaurus wrote:How are Batman Returns & Revenge of Joker?

I like Returns, but a lot of folks don't and I understand why. Its more than a little clunky. Has some great music though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=E3xWtQSzuKA&list=PL3BAC3515FF682F03#t=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dc1tGvP5WJE&list=PL3BAC3515FF682F03&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vCEfxL8bI&index=9&list=PL3BAC3515FF682F03

Sorry, I love Genesis music and had to plug it.

You should also check out the original Batman (the first movie game). Good stuff.

As for Revenge of the Joker, I've played so very little of it that I can't really comment on it. I have heard people say that the nes version is better, but talk is talk.

Anyway, my favorites have all been endorsed already, so I'll just repeat that you can't go wrong with X-men 2, Maximum Carnage, Adventures of Batman and Robin, and Death and Return of Superman.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

Post by Snatch1414 »

Mad_Hatter wrote:If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Tick is made by the same exact people who made Maximum Carnage. So these 2 titles are very similar. The Tick is an easier game though. Maximum Carnage is a toughy.

In fact, when I played it, I felt like I was playing the exact same game just with the Tick characters.

That's interesting because I know what you mean now that I think about it, but at the same time I played The Tick and thought it was just a flat out terrible game. I love the comics too they actually made me laugh out loud.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames