GDEMU

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
aaron
Next-Gen

GDEMU

Post by aaron »

have you guys seen this? there's a neat video of it running. if you've seen that 3DO USB loader thing then you can expect a similar product here.

http://gdemu.wordpress.com/
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: GDEMU

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah its expensive though. Not something i can jump on until i hear some hands on feedback.
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

ive been following it for quite a long time , its been in development then put on the backburner then worked on again.

going by deunan's Naomi emulator and other works if its like them its going to be fantastic
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Is this different than the SD loaders I've seen other places floating around?

IIRC, most have issues with certain ROMs/ISOs.

Any good experiences with these? Guess you save as normal to a VMU?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Jagosaurus wrote:Is this different than the SD loaders I've seen other places floating around?

yes. Apparently this tricks the system into thinking the ROMs are a GDROM. Apparently there's issues w/ some games because of the amt of RAM that can be loaded or speed of the serial port. So basically, this is damn close to a legit DC HDD. It's a great idea, but I'll need to wait a bit before being convinced I'd need one.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Is this different than the SD loaders I've seen other places floating around?

yes. Apparently this tricks the system into thinking the ROMs are a GDROM. Apparently there's issues w/ some games because of the amt of RAM that can be loaded or speed of the serial port. So basically, this is damn close to a legit DC HDD. It's a great idea, but I'll need to wait a bit before being convinced I'd need one.

Only DC RPG is missing is Skies (I know.... best one lol) but this is tempting for all the fighters.

Also, I'm a bit of a novice with the flash carts, etc... if you uploaded a JPN ROM off this, would US NTSC region lock kick in? Not an issue for me currently with imports with boot disc.
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

I'm on the list for one. I currently have a region modded DC with the (bad/slow) internal SD card mod, and intend to pick up a virgin DC as well. This is supposed to be plug and play replacement of the GD-ROM, so I should be able to try it in both easily enough. Will happily provide feedback when I get it/when it comes in.

Only thing that kinda makes me sad is how he said there's not going to be a ribbon cable :( BUT! He did say there would be pads for adding on buttons if you want... so I can do that, and then dx.com has an SD card extender, so I can just get one of those and mount it under the disc lid easily enough. Taking the top off the console to switch SD cards/games was not going to make me happy, but I think I can fix that problem that way.

Edit: Also, not quite as sleek as the 3DO USB reader (I have that too) -- limited in size (he says SDHC only, not SDXC, and claims to have added an arbitrary 40 file limit because larger means the FAT sorting would slow it down too far), and it appears to be a less full-featured "OS" for selecting games. Still awesome though, and I still jumped at the chance to get on the pre-order list.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

KalessinDB wrote:I'm on the list for one. I currently have a region modded DC with the (bad/slow) internal SD card mod, and intend to pick up a virgin DC as well. This is supposed to be plug and play replacement of the GD-ROM, so I should be able to try it in both easily enough. Will happily provide feedback when I get it/when it comes in.

Only thing that kinda makes me sad is how he said there's not going to be a ribbon cable :( BUT! He did say there would be pads for adding on buttons if you want... so I can do that, and then dx.com has an SD card extender, so I can just get one of those and mount it under the disc lid easily enough. Taking the top off the console to switch SD cards/games was not going to make me happy, but I think I can fix that problem that way.

Edit: Also, not quite as sleek as the 3DO USB reader (I have that too) -- limited in size (he says SDHC only, not SDXC, and claims to have added an arbitrary 40 file limit because larger means the FAT sorting would slow it down too far), and it appears to be a less full-featured "OS" for selecting games. Still awesome though, and I still jumped at the chance to get on the pre-order list.

thanks for these details. if you get one please let us know about it! i am curious as to where this will go because it seems sorta bare-bones right now. still very cool and very impressive. i'd like a launcher or some such other GUI frontend, and it'd be a lot nicer if i could use something other than an SD card (like, i dunno, an SSD?) but i have no idea how to make that happen, just tossing out hypothetical wish list items.
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

So that's what dknute has been up to the past year. Interesting, although I prefer emulation nowadays for my occasional DC/Naomi sessions.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Zorator
8-bit

Post by Zorator »

I have no experience with DC homebrew, should ALL homebrew games, ports, and applications theoretically work on this?