SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

by Gunstar Green Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:45 pm

I've had two dead Genesis cartridges out of hundreds. Jewel Master and Forgotten Worlds. The only one that I know is notorious for breaking is Grind Stormer because it's on defective Tengen cartridges.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:04 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:I've had two dead Genesis cartridges out of hundreds. Jewel Master and Forgotten Worlds. The only one that I know is notorious for breaking is Grind Stormer because it's on defective Tengen cartridges.

Yeah, guess it's just bad luck. I wonder what causes them to fail or how people break them.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:01 pm

My only bad luck with a cartridge was Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition
I remember it displayed an error message, which I thought was strange because it meant SOMETHING was almost working, but I never managed to get the game running. (I think I ended up throwing out the cart which felt like a waste but I don't think there was anything else that could be done.)
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Aw, really? We've both got bad luck with Gain Ground, then, because I have a busted copy as well. I also have a few other dead carts: some tennis game I picked up, and the game earlier in this thread, Super Monaco GP.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:25 pm

That sucks. I got impatient and just picked up a lone cart off Ebay. Hopefully when this one arrives, it works and I can just slap it in the box and chuck the dead one. It seems like an amazing game that I missed out on over the years. I only discovered it the other week.

There was a Sega Ages release in Japan on the Switch in December. Hopefully it gets a Western release!
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:37 pm

I've had one too. I picked up a copy of Light Crusader a few years back that would boot and throw an error message and just stay there.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:45 am

Well, maybe don't chuck it. Maybe swap the capacitor out, at any rate, if you haven't already? I'm keeping mine around in case I find a donor board, and I'll try to salvage it. Thankfully, I didn't end up paying much of anything for it in the end; the guy I bought it from just let me keep it, and between that and the Game.com I returned, he let me snag a copy of North & South for NES as a replacement.
Return to Sega