SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Kyuss015

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

by Kyuss015 Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:48 pm

A little mad myself for busting my model 1 genesis but i still got a model 2 to tie me over. Haven’t bought a game in a while , with the last one being Alien storm , but I like where my collection is at . I got a lot of the games I wanted to get and still love getting on a game of Streets of Rage or Thunder Force III. I am still looking for Ristar , though I know it’s pricey nowadays . Cheer to the genesis !
funk_Farmer
8-bit

by funk_Farmer Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:38 am

Been playing a bit of Alien Soldier and Ranger X. Both are amazing shooters. So many options for weapons and movements it's just fun to move around. The joining up with the vehicle mechanic in Ranger X is a pretty good idea. Moving the bike back and forward while flying all about and joining up to hammer down on some ground foes. Both games take a while to get used to just because of the movement but they're both awesome games. Also played some Gunstar Heroes with my son. Couch co op is the best.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:55 pm

funk_Farmer wrote:Been playing a bit of Alien Soldier and Ranger X. Both are amazing shooters. So many options for weapons and movements it's just fun to move around. The joining up with the vehicle mechanic in Ranger X is a pretty good idea. Moving the bike back and forward while flying all about and joining up to hammer down on some ground foes. Both games take a while to get used to just because of the movement but they're both awesome games. Also played some Gunstar Heroes with my son. Couch co op is the best.

Man, do I ever love Ranger X. GAU Entertainment/Nextech/Nex Entertainment can program and art the crap out of games. Ranger X is such an action packed, audio visual tour-de-force, that's still surprisingly unknown.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I think a lot of people try Ranger X for a few minutes, don't grasp the controls right away and move on to something else. Which is a shame because for me it's one of the best action games on the system really.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:15 pm

Yeah, that's true. I suppose there is a bit of a learning curve. The developers seemed to sense that by making the first level almost a giant, flat, sandbox. I guess it's over a little too quickly, and the second level is a bit too steep of a jump in complexity for the typical video game player to stick with. Probably would have been good if that cave level had been pushed back a little bit into the middle of the game.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:27 pm

I spent a couple hours with Ranger X and it never clicked with me. I guess I should give it another try though.
funk_Farmer
8-bit

by funk_Farmer Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Yea Ranger X is difficult to get into but it's definitely a great game. It's totally nuts and never really feels cheap. Also, after getting a hang on the controls, a person really looks like a bad mother filling up the screen with mayhem. I recommend giving it a second shot.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:53 am

Gunstar Green wrote:I think a lot of people try Ranger X for a few minutes, don't grasp the controls right away and move on to something else. Which is a shame because for me it's one of the best action games on the system really.

Souds familiar. I guess I need to give Ranger X another try sometime soon.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:05 am

Another thing to remember in Ranger X is that your sub weapons (and the healing things) are solar powered. The second level can be off putting because it's not clear that you need to find spots where you can blow holes in the cave ceiling to let light in. This mechanic isn't made very clear since the first level is completely in the sunlight.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:09 am

Hey, I have Ranger X! I only played it once... sounds like I need to give it a shot.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Return to Sega