SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
bmoc
128-bit

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

by bmoc Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 pm

Sarge wrote:I'd love to get an OSSC, though.

For the first time ever they are in stock at videogameperfection.com with no preorder needed.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:30 pm

stickem wrote:
nightrnr wrote:
stickem wrote:So with those hd retrovision cables sold out would a scart to scart hdmi convertor get the same results? About the same price anyway. Trying to get something better than composite for a newer hd tv.

SCART to HDMI would actually be a BETTER option, as the one I have line doubles/triples; that way you don't have to worry about the signal not working due to 240p video.
OSSC is what I got for that. Works amazingly well.

I do have the Retrovision cable too. It is fine for my tube tv (component inputs), but is useless on a modern LCD, without a line doubler anyways.
I also have an SCART to Component converter. Same deal, but is at least more versatile (hook any SCART to it instead of just one system).

OSSC is king. Get one if you can.
I just need to order some good SCART cables (Saturn, SNES, PS1, and maybe even ones for PC Engine and Neo Geo), and maybe a splitter.
Retro gaming used to be cheap...

So I have my genny/cd hooked up to a plasma. With composite at 4:3, picture looked great just composite looking. With a scart cable and scart to hdmI convertor the picture looks great, a noticeable difference. But when I select 4:3 aspect the sides get cut off, not showing the whole picture. But when i leave it on normal, which stretches it a tad i get the whole picture. Is this a tv issue? I use the same convertor on a newer samsung with my saturn and 4:3 looks great, gets all the picture in that aspect.[/quote?

So nobody with any video advice? Dam this board has died unless you talk about what pissed you off, anime, or some other bullshit.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 am

I don't have any advice personally, but there is a thread with very helpful people that tend to be quite knowledgeable on hardware issues here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34857

If I had to just take a stab at it, I would guess it has something to do with overscan, but this is just a total shot in the dark, as I don't own a Plasma nor do I play Genesis on an HD monitor. Might be worth checking though! Either way, pop the question in that thread and you'll likely get a much better answer.

And a lot of us are still talking about video games :P
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:21 am

stickem wrote:So nobody with any video advice? Dam this board has died unless you talk about what pissed you off, anime, or some other bullshit.

I'll take "some other bullshit" for $500, Alex

I wish I had more personal experience for you, but I'm a stranger in a strange land these days (make of that what you will :wink: ).
Basically, I'm always experimenting (and keep coming back to my old junker TVs). I have not tried any SCART to HDMI adapters beyond the OSSC (again, which is awesome) and probably won't, as anything else is unlikely to line double to make the connection on a lot of newer TVs.

TV's all seem to have their quirks though. Some just don't cooperate how you want them to. I offer no advice, but understand the frustration.
...just another lost soul...
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:37 am

That was prolly a fustration post lol. Used to be alot more traffic on this board, hate to see it die post...
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:18 pm

stickem wrote:So I have my genny/cd hooked up to a plasma. With composite at 4:3, picture looked great just composite looking. With a scart cable and scart to HDMI convertor the picture looks great, a noticeable difference. But when I select 4:3 aspect the sides get cut off, not showing the whole picture. But when i leave it on normal, which stretches it a tad i get the whole picture. Is this a tv issue? I use the same convertor on a newer samsung with my saturn and 4:3 looks great, gets all the picture in that aspect.

Perhaps a SCART to Component might give you better results for your Plasma? This will keep the signal at analog.

Maybe the problem is a combination of the Plasma and HDMI, something to do with the HD 1080p standard and the digital output of HDMI. I touched on this in my Criterion Thread concerning BluRay discs for older 4:3 black and white movies. I have Charlie Chaplin combo BluRay and DVD pack. The DVD utilizes ALL the screen estate for the vintage 4:3 movie on my 4:3 HD CRT TV, yet the BluRay has black borders on the side. This also happens on my SD 4:3 TV! Something about the Bluray disc coded for 1080p wide screen standard for all movies including 4:3 movies and even with the player is set to 480i for the SD TV. A step back in video quality that the 4:3 imagery has been squeezed back to the 1:1 ratio of the first televisions and early NASA archival film!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:52 pm

I beat Rocket Knight Adventures recently, man it's good.

That is all.

Edit: Apparently not!

I have looked into a few of the cheap HDMI converters out there, both SCART and Component. I can only say that I don't recommend any I've read about or tried myself for retro games. You're much better off getting an OSSC. There may be good high-end options out there for HDMI conversion, but I don't see anything beating the OSSC in it's price or it's capabilities if retro games are your main concern.

It also sounds like a TV issue more than the converter. If the TV has any zoom options it may help.
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 pm

I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 pm

chuckster wrote:I beat Rocket Knight Adventures recently, man it's good.

RKA is one of my favorite 16-bit platformers period. It's bursting with action and amazing set-pieces. It's challenging but never feels too difficult.

The two Sparkster games are pretty good too but I always felt they were lacking that special something from the first game.

Anayo wrote:I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.

Steel Empire is pretty neat. It's not one of my favorite shooters for the system but I really like its style.
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:27 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:
Anayo wrote:I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.

Steel Empire is pretty neat. It's not one of my favorite shooters for the system but I really like its style.

Yeah. Usually I'm distrustful of SHMUP's since that genre is so crowded, but I think Steel Empire's steampunk aesthetic is unique and cool enough for it to rise above the noise floor.
Return to Sega