How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by Xeogred »

Gotta agree with others here. Couldn't really get into it.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

You know what kid chameleon is for me
A good rental at the video store or blockbuster for Friday night
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Jagosaurus wrote:I own an Ever Mega Drive v2 and am always a fan of hardware, but I am loving Fusion these days for all things Sega. It does such a great job on Genesis, Sega CD, 32X, SMS, & GG.

Any one using a USB Sega Genesis controller? The Buffalo SNES controller is great and will be hard to match but I just feel wrong playing SEGA games with it :P. Any recommendations?

@mas, I'd recommend loading up Sega CD games in Fusion before you start spending a lot on the better games. It cost me $0 & took me 5 minutes or less to DL Snatcher and get it running on my first attempt. Then justify ponying up the cash if it's a game you really like. My Sega CD Collection wad mostly commons and it sold for a decent amount back in 2013. I'm scared to even look at Sega CD prices today. Just my 2 cents.

Also keep in mind Fusion can run real Sega CD games from your PC CD ROM tray if you want to save wear & tear on the new (to you) but fragile console while collecting actual games. You don't need a beefy computer. I have a 6 year old entry level Windows 7 machine that runs it great.

I've been on the hunt for a decent Genesis USB controller for a while, and it doesn't look like anyone is doing Buffalo-level quality for the old Mega-gal.

The best solution in my view is a USB adapter for the original controllers, if you get a multi-port adapter and a couple of 6-button pads you're set (Mayflash worked well for me, or you can go for Raphnet adapters if you really want to be sure of quality and a few extra features). Locally, the original controllers are pretty cheap too. If you go with Ebay, you may have to look harder for a deal.

Overall, Fusion is still my standalone Sega emulator of choice. It's just dead simple. I use Retroarch mostly if I'm on PC for shaders, and for the last year or so, I've been using Gens Plus GX on Wii for 240p emulation on CRT, though it doesn't do 32x. I still think flash carts are the way to go in general, but a Wii outputting 240p is pretty much identical to my Genesis with a HD Retrovision Component cable.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

So after seeing the post today about Toejam and Earl, it being one of my favorite genesis games. I'm curious...what are your favorite genesis games? And if you'd be so kind as to make them into a list of like a top three or five or so, I'd appreciate that. (I like reading lists)

Here's mine in order:
1. Sonic the Hedgehog
2. Streets of Rage 2
3. Shinobi 3
4. Toejam and Earl
5. Gunstar Heroes
Honorable Mention:
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Is it just me or is it a pain in the ass to find any decent sega games at any retro game stores? I get to travel around for work and pop into video game stores from time to time and sega stuff has just dried up the last few years.

Dreamcast, sega cd 32x, and saturn games are few and far between. Genesis games are a few rows of sports titles and vector man like shit. Where are the gems at? Are people hording all the good sega games out there lol?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

stickem wrote:Is it just me or is it a pain in the ass to find any decent sega games at any retro game stores? I get to travel around for work and pop into video game stores from time to time and sega stuff has just dried up the last few years.

Dreamcast, sega cd 32x, and saturn games are few and far between. Genesis games are a few rows of sports titles and vector man like shit. Where are the gems at? Are people hording all the good sega games out there lol?

You answered your own question. :P
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Well I don't no know about that lol. I mean you see 85 percent nintendo and maybe 10 percent sega on display selves in my area. I doubt that many are sitting on the shit lol. I asked a manager today, "we just don't get any sega stuff coming in anymore".this is prolly just a vent btw
HiSpec
8-bit

Post by HiSpec »

I think the real gems on the Genesis are just relatively rare, since back in the day it was mostly sports titles/Sonic that were making the Top 10 sales lists. At least, that's the impression I got from browsing some old issues of EGM recently.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

kind of miss my sega Genesis. I have the collection on the ps3. I am going to get that new had model one that's coming out. Everyone has mixed reviews on it. Anyone getting that also while people are getting the snes classic
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

So with those hd retrovision cables sold out would a scart to scart hdmi convertor get the same results? About the same price anyway. Trying to get something better than composite for a newer hd tv.