How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
G-Darius
32-bit

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by G-Darius »

Playing Kid Chameleon, the slow pace does not suite some people but like Toki and a few other platformers it fine for me and gives me time to think lol
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Segata wrote:
stickem wrote:Is it just me or is it a pain in the ass to find any decent sega games at any retro game stores? I get to travel around for work and pop into video game stores from time to time and sega stuff has just dried up the last few years.

Dreamcast, sega cd 32x, and saturn games are few and far between. Genesis games are a few rows of sports titles and vector man like shit. Where are the gems at? Are people hording all the good sega games out there lol?

You answered your own question. :P

I see some interesting ones at my DiscTraders every now and then.
http://www.racketboy.com/journal/game-s ... isctraders
But otherwise, I think eBay (and conventions) are like the only way of getting complete Sega stuff.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

stickem wrote:So with those hd retrovision cables sold out would a scart to scart hdmi convertor get the same results? About the same price anyway. Trying to get something better than composite for a newer hd tv.

SCART to HDMI would actually be a BETTER option, as the one I have line doubles/triples; that way you don't have to worry about the signal not working due to 240p video.
OSSC is what I got for that. Works amazingly well.

I do have the Retrovision cable too. It is fine for my tube tv (component inputs), but is useless on a modern LCD, without a line doubler anyways.
I also have an SCART to Component converter. Same deal, but is at least more versatile (hook any SCART to it instead of just one system).

OSSC is king. Get one if you can.
I just need to order some good SCART cables (Saturn, SNES, PS1, and maybe even ones for PC Engine and Neo Geo), and maybe a splitter.
Retro gaming used to be cheap...
...just another lost soul...
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Actually, it very much depends on how your TV handles 240p signals. I use a SCART-to-Component converter for my Genesis. If you're on component, my 4K Samsung actually treats the signal as a proper 240p. Unfortunately, a quirk with the timing means there's a hitch every second or so, perhaps not too dissimilar to what you might have seen on a Game Boy Player. This same TV, however, handles 240p from a Wii perfectly.

That being said, most TVs don't actually handle 240p, and treat all signals of that type as 480i. Depending on your tolerance for 30 Hz flashing effects becoming alternating lines, that may be good enough for you.

I'd love to get an OSSC, though.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

nightrnr wrote:
stickem wrote:So with those hd retrovision cables sold out would a scart to scart hdmi convertor get the same results? About the same price anyway. Trying to get something better than composite for a newer hd tv.

SCART to HDMI would actually be a BETTER option, as the one I have line doubles/triples; that way you don't have to worry about the signal not working due to 240p video.

I do have the Retrovision cable too. It is fine for my tube tv (component inputs), but is useless on a modern LCD, without a line doubler anyways.
I also have an SCART to Component converter. Same deal, but is at least more versatile (hook any SCART to it instead of just one system).

I just need to order some good SCART cables (Saturn, SNES, PS1, and maybe even ones for PC Engine and Neo Geo), and maybe a splitter.

So I have my genny/cd hooked up to a plasma. With composite at 4:3, picture looked great just composite looking. With a scart cable and scart to hdmI convertor the picture looks great, a noticeable difference. But when I select 4:3 aspect the sides get cut off, not showing the whole picture. But when i leave it on normal, which stretches it a tad i get the whole picture. Is this a tv issue? I use the same convertor on a newer samsung with my saturn and 4:3 looks great, gets all the picture in that aspect.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Sarge wrote:I'd love to get an OSSC, though.

For the first time ever they are in stock at videogameperfection.com with no preorder needed.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

stickem wrote:
nightrnr wrote:

So I have my genny/cd hooked up to a plasma. With composite at 4:3, picture looked great just composite looking. With a scart cable and scart to hdmI convertor the picture looks great, a noticeable difference. But when I select 4:3 aspect the sides get cut off, not showing the whole picture. But when i leave it on normal, which stretches it a tad i get the whole picture. Is this a tv issue? I use the same convertor on a newer samsung with my saturn and 4:3 looks great, gets all the picture in that aspect.[/quote?

So nobody with any video advice? Dam this board has died unless you talk about what pissed you off, anime, or some other bullshit.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I don't have any advice personally, but there is a thread with very helpful people that tend to be quite knowledgeable on hardware issues here: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34857

If I had to just take a stab at it, I would guess it has something to do with overscan, but this is just a total shot in the dark, as I don't own a Plasma nor do I play Genesis on an HD monitor. Might be worth checking though! Either way, pop the question in that thread and you'll likely get a much better answer.

And a lot of us are still talking about video games :P
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

stickem wrote:So nobody with any video advice? Dam this board has died unless you talk about what pissed you off, anime, or some other bullshit.

I'll take "some other bullshit" for $500, Alex

I wish I had more personal experience for you, but I'm a stranger in a strange land these days (make of that what you will :wink: ).
Basically, I'm always experimenting (and keep coming back to my old junker TVs). I have not tried any SCART to HDMI adapters beyond the OSSC (again, which is awesome) and probably won't, as anything else is unlikely to line double to make the connection on a lot of newer TVs.

TV's all seem to have their quirks though. Some just don't cooperate how you want them to. I offer no advice, but understand the frustration.
...just another lost soul...
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

That was prolly a fustration post lol. Used to be alot more traffic on this board, hate to see it die post...