How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by pierrot »

nightrnr wrote:@pierrot
I recall, after you beat Sonic 3 (or S3&K), you can go to any stage and all big rings are reset. I specifically remember going to the 1st big ring in the 1st level over and over to get all the emeralds after beating and getting the normal/bad ending. I Did this with Sonic, Knuckles, and Tails all separately. Cheapens the experience a bit maybe, but it was the only way I could do it.

Oh, maybe I'll check that out. That seems like it's probably the only way I'd be able to do it, also. (Outside of save states in an emulator, which I have done before.)

nightrnr wrote:Oh yeah, and I loved Contra Hard Corps almost as much as I sucked at it.
Any person that can get through that can do Streets of Rage, I think. The 2 girls require back attacks to defeat with any effectiveness. Also, I always continued on the 2nd controllers when life's/continues were about up for player one. It's a means to an end anyways.

Oh, I didn't think of back attacks at all. They don't quite seem like what I typically think of as back attacks in the first SoR, so maybe that's why I didn't really use it. I ended up settling on jump kicks to deal with them, but I still can't really fight them without losing any lives, because they still hit me ever, and do all that massive damage on contact. I did end up actually going the distance with Adam, but I posted about it in the Summer Challenge thread. It was pretty good. I enjoyed it. I had no idea about the second player thing, though. :lol: That might have saved me some frustration early on, but oh well. It led me to Adam in the end.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Its been a while since I've played Sonic, but iirc, you can actually just cheese the emeralds like that without a complete file, by just resetting. I think this even works in Sonic 2, since the game remembers emeralds until its actually powered down.

Could be wrong on either account, but pretty sure this works. I know its how I got all 14 in 3&k (Still need to do this with Knuckles/Tails).
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

It's not I'm waiting on an RGB Cable from Retro Access.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Tried playing some hacks of 32x Doom via my Mega Everdrive and met with abysmal failure.

There's that Jaguar mapset (the full 24 maps) and it turns out that it's only for the Pal rom.
Then I found an "Ultimate Doom" (in the full episode version, and split versions of episodes 1&2 and episodes 3&4). Full version did not boot at all and the other 2 are Pal format as well (a no go on my Genesis).

Then tried using a Doom 32x tool to convert the wads to an PC edit format and then copy back to the US rom and it seemed to delete all the levels (or at least removed the evidently required level 3, as per the error message).

And the whole world probably wonders why I even care about it.
I'm going back to playing my Saturn port for now. I'm on the Doom II levels.
...just another lost soul...
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

So I'm trying to give Zero Tolerance another go, after like 18 years or so from my last real play of it. I remember reaching a level that I just didn't have the ammo for. It's weird, hard to play (slow/choppy-ish), and yet engaging. Hate that you have to eliminate all enemies to get a dang password though. I went 6 or 7 levels before I realized this.

I wonder if it would be possible to hack this game to look like Doom, or be a base for a full on port.

Anyways, it's really impressive that an FPS even exists on the Genesis. I played about 8 levels last night. I used a beat up Genesis 3 system I scavenged from a junk auction. Despite having to lift the carts just slightly to get a good contact to play, it has the best composite output of any of my other Genesí. Looks nice of my 13" bedside CRT.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

Paprium is never gonna come out. i've accepted this, but man, that's $60 down the drain.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

IrishNinja wrote:Paprium is never gonna come out. i've accepted this, but man, that's $60 down the drain.

I'm right there with you on this (only I forgot about it until you posted :lol: :cry: ). I think I ordered the $99 version (who knows when), but whatever at this point. I still hope it comes through one day, but if not (or until then), WaterMelon games has a pretty bad mark on their record.
But it will be a very pleasant surprise if it does show up in my mail box one day.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Started a new game in Shining Force 2 earlier in the year, put it down for a few months, but got back into it last week. Haven't completed this game since the early 2000's, and really enjoying it. I'm pretty far into the game, just completed the Mitula's Sanctuary battle, the Zalbard battle, and the battle in the town of Pacalon.

My only issues with this playthrough so far is that I let Kiwi fall behind level wise, he's way too weak to catch up, so I've swapped him out for Rhode. Also, I guess I didn't save the falling bird in Bedoe earlier in the game, so I missed out on getting Skreech.

Looking forward to putting a few more hours into this game next weekend.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

IrishNinja wrote:Paprium is never gonna come out. i've accepted this, but man, that's $60 down the drain.

And then, out of no where, they announce it's coming out in a few weeks! The launch event is happening at the end of October.

Where the hell did that come from!?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I think there were a couple threads about it (one in Sega-16 maybe?, the other a facebook feed?, not sure as my cell online surfing habits are erratic), keeping the hope alive.

Anyways, this is good news, I have a pre-order for this from a console life cycle ago. Anticipating getting my copy.

I'm not sure if I'll do any more orders from Watermelon though. I'm a patient guy, but the development times are beyond unreasonable for most.