How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by CRTGAMER »

stickem wrote:So I have my genny/cd hooked up to a plasma. With composite at 4:3, picture looked great just composite looking. With a scart cable and scart to HDMI convertor the picture looks great, a noticeable difference. But when I select 4:3 aspect the sides get cut off, not showing the whole picture. But when i leave it on normal, which stretches it a tad i get the whole picture. Is this a tv issue? I use the same convertor on a newer samsung with my saturn and 4:3 looks great, gets all the picture in that aspect.

Perhaps a SCART to Component might give you better results for your Plasma? This will keep the signal at analog.

Maybe the problem is a combination of the Plasma and HDMI, something to do with the HD 1080p standard and the digital output of HDMI. I touched on this in my Criterion Thread concerning BluRay discs for older 4:3 black and white movies. I have Charlie Chaplin combo BluRay and DVD pack. The DVD utilizes ALL the screen estate for the vintage 4:3 movie on my 4:3 HD CRT TV, yet the BluRay has black borders on the side. This also happens on my SD 4:3 TV! Something about the Bluray disc coded for 1080p wide screen standard for all movies including 4:3 movies and even with the player is set to 480i for the SD TV. A step back in video quality that the 4:3 imagery has been squeezed back to the 1:1 ratio of the first televisions and early NASA archival film!
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I beat Rocket Knight Adventures recently, man it's good.

That is all.

Edit: Apparently not!

I have looked into a few of the cheap HDMI converters out there, both SCART and Component. I can only say that I don't recommend any I've read about or tried myself for retro games. You're much better off getting an OSSC. There may be good high-end options out there for HDMI conversion, but I don't see anything beating the OSSC in it's price or it's capabilities if retro games are your main concern.

It also sounds like a TV issue more than the converter. If the TV has any zoom options it may help.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

chuckster wrote:I beat Rocket Knight Adventures recently, man it's good.

RKA is one of my favorite 16-bit platformers period. It's bursting with action and amazing set-pieces. It's challenging but never feels too difficult.

The two Sparkster games are pretty good too but I always felt they were lacking that special something from the first game.

Anayo wrote:I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.

Steel Empire is pretty neat. It's not one of my favorite shooters for the system but I really like its style.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Anayo wrote:I beat Steel Empire today. It was somewhat easy and I didn't like how it recycled a few of the bosses, but the graphics and art direction were appealing and I liked the rousing soundtrack. It had a strong "Sega Genesis" feel to it.

Steel Empire is pretty neat. It's not one of my favorite shooters for the system but I really like its style.

Yeah. Usually I'm distrustful of SHMUP's since that genre is so crowded, but I think Steel Empire's steampunk aesthetic is unique and cool enough for it to rise above the noise floor.
Kyuss015

Post by Kyuss015 »

A little mad myself for busting my model 1 genesis but i still got a model 2 to tie me over. Haven’t bought a game in a while , with the last one being Alien storm , but I like where my collection is at . I got a lot of the games I wanted to get and still love getting on a game of Streets of Rage or Thunder Force III. I am still looking for Ristar , though I know it’s pricey nowadays . Cheer to the genesis !
funk_Farmer
8-bit

Post by funk_Farmer »

Been playing a bit of Alien Soldier and Ranger X. Both are amazing shooters. So many options for weapons and movements it's just fun to move around. The joining up with the vehicle mechanic in Ranger X is a pretty good idea. Moving the bike back and forward while flying all about and joining up to hammer down on some ground foes. Both games take a while to get used to just because of the movement but they're both awesome games. Also played some Gunstar Heroes with my son. Couch co op is the best.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

funk_Farmer wrote:Been playing a bit of Alien Soldier and Ranger X. Both are amazing shooters. So many options for weapons and movements it's just fun to move around. The joining up with the vehicle mechanic in Ranger X is a pretty good idea. Moving the bike back and forward while flying all about and joining up to hammer down on some ground foes. Both games take a while to get used to just because of the movement but they're both awesome games. Also played some Gunstar Heroes with my son. Couch co op is the best.

Man, do I ever love Ranger X. GAU Entertainment/Nextech/Nex Entertainment can program and art the crap out of games. Ranger X is such an action packed, audio visual tour-de-force, that's still surprisingly unknown.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I think a lot of people try Ranger X for a few minutes, don't grasp the controls right away and move on to something else. Which is a shame because for me it's one of the best action games on the system really.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Yeah, that's true. I suppose there is a bit of a learning curve. The developers seemed to sense that by making the first level almost a giant, flat, sandbox. I guess it's over a little too quickly, and the second level is a bit too steep of a jump in complexity for the typical video game player to stick with. Probably would have been good if that cave level had been pushed back a little bit into the middle of the game.