How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by Reprise »

I certainly won't. I feel I'm done with them.

I hold no ill will towards Watermelon, but I find - whether there are reasons for it or not - the delays are too much and the communication between them and backers is atrocious and unacceptable. I also pre-ordered Paprium years and years ago and there's been, what? Like 4 updates in that time? One of which was mere weeks before the game was scheduled for release to say 'oh actually, the project is screwed for a while because Paypal seized all our funds woops'. I understand they're a small company and no doubt incredibly busy making the game, but a small update every couple of months, even if just to say 'development is still going slow and steady, sorry for the delays, we haven't forgotten you' would go a long way.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I'm on a strange kick with the Genesis F1 racing games. I've mainly been playing the Super Monaco GP games which are fantastic. The championship modes are so fun. Save states replacing the giant passwords of the first game also do a lot to make the game more accessible. I'm not really a big racing game fan and I suck at them but there's so many cool arcade-style racers on the Genesis that I really enjoy.

It lead me to toying around with Domark's "Formula One" which I had never played before and while I don't like it as much as the previously mentioned duology it's pretty cool. It's got some simple polygon graphics for stuff along the track and it moves at a pretty blazing fast speed for a game from that time that utilizes polygons (it even has a "turbo mode" that shrinks down the sprites to the two-player version of the game to increase frame rate though I find the normal mode plenty satisfactory). Pretty neat stuff. The physics are a little loony but it's a racing game from 1993, what do you want?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I beat Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer both for the first time recently, great stuff.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Gunstar Green wrote:I'm on a strange kick with the Genesis F1 racing games. I've mainly been playing the Super Monaco GP games which are fantastic. The championship modes are so fun. Save states replacing the giant passwords of the first game also do a lot to make the game more accessible. I'm not really a big racing game fan and I suck at them but there's so many cool arcade-style racers on the Genesis that I really enjoy.

It lead me to toying around with Domark's "Formula One" which I had never played before and while I don't like it as much as the previously mentioned duology it's pretty cool. It's got some simple polygon graphics for stuff along the track and it moves at a pretty blazing fast speed for a game from that time that utilizes polygons (it even has a "turbo mode" that shrinks down the sprites to the two-player version of the game to increase frame rate though I find the normal mode plenty satisfactory). Pretty neat stuff. The physics are a little loony but it's a racing game from 1993, what do you want?

Neat! I should try those games out.

Xeogred wrote:I beat Revenge of Shinobi and Shadow Dancer both for the first time recently, great stuff.

Classics! 8)
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The Super Monaco GP games are absolute classics if you like 16-bit racing games. The World Championship mode of the first game has a crazy plot twist at the end of the first season where most racing games would normally end. Basically you challenge rivals and if you beat them in two consecutive races you can take a job with their team and get their car and you use this to eventually get into the best car which blows your competition of the water. This sort of makes the difficulty front loaded but it's really satisfying when you're in the Firenze of Madonna cars (fake names for Ferrari and McLaren respectively).

Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II is basically the same game with a bit more polish. Unlike most celebrity endorsed games where a name is just slapped on a product, Senna himself who was a three-time F1 World Champion and six-time winner at the Monaco Grand Prix before his untimely demise gave his input on some tweaks to the car handling and the track design and supplied three of his own track designs for the game. It makes the game an interesting historical footnote especially in parts of the world where F1 was a bigger deal and especially Brazil where Senna was from. It was also made because TecToy approached Sega of Japan with the idea which is neat.

I tend to see mixed opinions on which one people like more as they're largely the same game with a few changes. I really like the music and the World Championship of the first game but you can't go wrong with either and the second game has an interesting tale behind it especially for F1 fans.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

That’s interesting! There are so many race car games on any given platform that it’s easy to get lost in the shuffle. Now I’m going to make a concentrated effort to play Super Monaco GP.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

After 32 grueling races and a lot of practice and memorization I've won the second season and beaten Super Monaco GP, even though I crashed out both times I had to race in the Monaco GP itself, lol.

Suck it G. Ceara!
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Haven't done too much retro gaming lately, but I went through Toejam and Earl recently with a buddy. Love that game. Been considering picking up the new genesis collection for my Switch.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/0 ... _this_year

New genesis game coming to NA region, anybody know anything about this game?
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It's a turn based strategy from Masaya, the same people who made the Assault Suits and Langrisser games. If you like the old Super Robot Wars games it plays similarly to those but with an original cast of characters and mechs instead of licensed properties. Never got to play it in English so I can't speak to the story, but the gameplay seemed pretty solid.