How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: How's Your Sega MegaDrive/Genesis Gaming Going On?

Post by o.pwuaioc »

What's the big deal with Kid Chameleon? I found the levels absolutely uninspiring and repetitive, the collectathon to be a bore, and the controls lackluster at best. The only I liked was the character design, but that's not enough.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

o.pwuaioc wrote:What's the big deal with Kid Chameleon? I found the levels absolutely uninspiring and repetitive, the collectathon to be a bore, and the controls lackluster at best. The only I liked was the character design, but that's not enough.

It's mostly popular for it's length and insane amount of secrets as well as its variety of power ups. It was seen as a Mario competitor when it came out but by today's standards it is a fairly bland platformer that a lot of people are nostalgic about.

I wouldn't rank it among the greatest games on the console but it's not a bad game either. It'd be better with saves or a password system.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

o.pwuaioc wrote:What's the big deal with Kid Chameleon? I found the levels absolutely uninspiring and repetitive, the collectathon to be a bore, and the controls lackluster at best. The only I liked was the character design, but that's not enough.

It sucks balls. That's the deal.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

I'm glad I'm not alone. It gets such rave reviews, for second I thought that maybe I did indeed lack all heart.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I wouldn't say it gets rave reviews... it gets mediocre reviews from what I've seen, even the ones from back in the day (at least from magazines that weren't affiliated with Sega or the Genesis/MD).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

It's certainly more original than many of the other Mario-knockoff mascot platformers.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Reprise wrote:I wouldn't say it gets rave reviews... it gets mediocre reviews from what I've seen, even the ones from back in the day (at least from magazines that weren't affiliated with Sega or the Genesis/MD).

This game wasn't on my radar back in the day, so I was relying on current reviews. GameFAQs has a pretty high rating for it, which means there are a lot of fans. Sega-16 gave it an 8/10. So maybe "rave" wasn't the right word, but it does get a lot of love.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Reprise wrote:I wouldn't say it gets rave reviews... it gets mediocre reviews from what I've seen, even the ones from back in the day (at least from magazines that weren't affiliated with Sega or the Genesis/MD).

This game wasn't on my radar back in the day, so I was relying on current reviews. GameFAQs has a pretty high rating for it, which means there are a lot of fans. Sega-16 gave it an 8/10. So maybe "rave" wasn't the right word, but it does get a lot of love.

Yeah, I guess it's a bit mixed and there is a lot of love out there for the game. To me, it seems like nostalgia blinding people there though. It really isn't a great game.

These reviews seem more in line with what it deserves imo:

Nintendo Life - 6/10
http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/200 ... al_console

IGN - 6.5/10
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2007/06/21/k ... eon-review

Boxed Pixels
http://www.boxedpixels.co.uk/2017/03/me ... e-130.html

Retromageddon - 2.5/5
http://retromaggedon.com/index.php/kid- ... is-review/
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

6 is fair score. It's not amazing and it's not terrible.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I tried Kid Chameleon out a few years ago and I was disappointment as well. The levels were too long and very ugly looking.